Tips on not throwing sickness tablets straight back up?

xLaura

Reaction score
So I've been struggling with HG and have been hospitalised. The anti sickness drugs in the hospital were via injections/IV and they worked wanders.

However now I'm back home and got tablet from (3 a day) I can't keep the bloody things down. I'm sick the moment I open my eyes (well once I've managed get to the bathroom) so I don't take one straight away simply because I can't, but I'm sick ALL day, so I don't get when or how to take them to keep them down?

Does anyone else struggle with this problem?

Hun I really feel for you I was like this in my first pregnancy I know how awful it is.
I used to take plain icepops to keep me hydrated but tablet wise I had the same problem I struggled to keep them down after the iv's stopped :( ended up being admitted every 7-10days till 18weeks then it settled abit and I could keep tablets down.
If you get to the point where you start to feel like you need to be back in hospital go a&e (my midwufe advised me to do this as gp's are useless most of the time) then on the ward ask for an open access letter which means in the future if you feel this bad you call the ward and go straight there without the need to see gp or go a&e.
Other things that helped me were cool baths, sleeping in a different bed to my DH (if he rolled over in the night it made me sick) ice cubes and ice lollies as I said. Sorry I'm not much help but if you ever need to chat about it to someone who understands feel free to msg me. Other than my DH and a few friends everyone thought I was over dramatic and it was psychological even mil said this time 'told you you wouldn't have time to sick this time'
Hope you feel better soon xxx

Sorry to hear you have the dreaded HG too chick, I was hospitalised several times up until 20 weeks. I was the same as you and couldn't keep tablets down, so I was prescribed ondansetron (zofran) melts, which just melt on your tongue. It meant that if I was sick then I didn't throw up the medication, as it just absorbed anyway.

I was taking 3 a day, so I took one just before going to sleep, one when my hubby got up for work (and then I went back to sleep) and then one mid afternoon where I had to lie really still for a while to stop being sick.

They can also prescribe suppositories of the medication if the melts don't work. Feel better soon xx

So sorry your feeling so awful. I had the exact same problem but the zofran melts really helped. Before that my HG was so awful I couldn't even keep water down let alone the pills. Really hope you feel better soon!

Thanks ladies. It's nice to talk to people that actually understand because i feel so alone. Even my OH doesn't understand and I sware everyone thinks I'm over reacting and being a wuss.

For instance I said to my OH earlier I think I'm going have to go back in hospital again soon, and he replied saying well just eat your tea and take a tablet and you will be fine!! Like I haven't bloody tried that!!!

He thinks it's such an inconvience when I'm in hospital because of having to find childcare for our son, but it's ok for me to be going through this whilst looking after our son every day.

Sorry for the moan, I give up trying to talk to family anymore because no one is listening to me.

Oh I know exactly what you mean. When my HG was at it's worst I'd honestly never felt so ill in my life. Had to have three lots of iv fluids over the week. But when I was discharged people's reactions were 'they kept you in for morning sickness?'. Annoyed me so much. Doesn't help that all my partner does is moan at me to eat, I don't think he gets that I would if I could. I'd love to tuck into something more than a dry cracker for once!

Sorry you are going through this, HG is horrible and don't take to heart what people think. Nurse yourself and ignore the silly comments.

I had it with my first from 6w0d until a week pp. I didn't know about the melting pill would have loved it. I crushed my pill to powder and made sure I took the next before the current wore off. Unfortunately it started this time too at 6w1d.

GL to every one who is battling this.

Zofran wafers were the only thing I could handle with HG, bloody awful time :( hope you can get some from your dr

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->