tips on water retention/calf swelling?

skookie

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm 25 weeks along and have a desk job. Over the last week or two my calves have felt a bit tight and achy after work. It worries me a little since my bump isn't even that big and I thought all the water retention stuff came a bit later. Is anyone else experiencing this and have any tips? I have something I got to put my legs up on under my desk and I do walk my dog every day. I could probably stand to drink more water but I try to stay hydrated. I get frequent breaks and walk to the kitchen and bathroom a lot but maybe need to do more? Anyone else suffering from this at this point? Any tips/advice?

I suffered really badly with swelling in my last pregnancy, probably starting about 25 weeks. I worked retail and by the end of my shift I could barely walk.
I can only suggest drink lots of water, put your feet up at home when you can, maybe ice the swollen bits, get a massage of dh etc. Often you need your feet up really high!
I was an extreme case with severe odema by the end, my feet went up 4 sizes! But that's really rare, it hasn't happened at all to me this time.

The best cure for water retention is drinking more water, as silly as that sounds! Try to drink a gallon a day and your body should flush more out because it doesn't feel like it needs to "hang onto" so much.

Whilst pregnant when nursing I was also on my feet a lot. I found maternity support stockings really really helpful. They help force water out of the tissues and back into the blood stream.

It's just a pain for some women. Some veins will have insufficient valves and just aren't great at blood back flow.

I get it in one leg only every pregnancy.

I had a weird thing happen in about the 5th month with my first pregnancy. One night I was shocked to see my ankles were incredibly swollen. I realized I had eaten a lot of very tasty food at a catered event (and been on my feet all day) but I think it was the huge hit of salt that made it happen. It cleared up by the next day. Of course I also had the classic fat ankles at the very end of my first pregnancy and it didn't seem to respond to drinking more water or anything - - at that point it is just a matter of getting to the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->