To all those who give blood and/or platelets....

going_crazy

Still learning.....!
Reaction score
Especially those of you with the rarer blood groups, my daughter says a huge thank you! :flower:

She needed a blood transfusion in theatre, and 3 platelet transfusions on PICU.

Now she's safely back home, recovering, where she belongs I've been thinking about her 'experience'. Me and my OH have always given blood, but have never been on the recieving end until last week, and I can really see how it benefits other people.

Keep up the good work people :thumbup: xxx

I've been on the recieving end 6 times :) thankful for the people who give blood but also the blood banks are running low.... More people need to give blood :)

Oh And I'll be having a few bags of platelets for my C - Section in 4 days :)

aww I give blood regularly it feels good to know i'm doing my bit to help people :)
Glad your daughter is ok :)

I give blood :thumbup: I'm AB+ the second rarest blood group, I'm in the process of convincing my dh to give blood as I think it's such a great gift that I can offer others :flower:

glad your lo is well and recovering at home :hugs:

I'm going to give blood in 12 weeks for the first time :) I'm O negative :thumbup:

I encourage people to do it because you never know when you might need it!!

Im so glad your daughter is ok. Ive also been on the recieving end and ill always be grateful

Glad she is okay :flower: x

I would love to give blood but had a virus when I was younger so I'm not allowed. Top that with that I might have ME that the doctors claim isn't a real disease, yet you can't give blood?! :growlmad:

I also have CFS/ME and the reason they say we cannot give blood is that there is concern that it would be too draining for us and the other reason is that research has linked it to a particular virus in other countries-this research is not backed up by studies in the UK which found no viral link here but as a precaution they are keeping it in place xx

Thanks summer rain :flower::hugs: More info than I have ever got from any doctor.

What frustrates me is that they refuse to see it as a real problem yet stop you doing things like donating blood. Then there must be some substance to it!

Anyway, wont derail more!

I am glad your daughter got the transfusions she needed. :hugs:

I have needed blood on two occassions; once in Feb 2010, when my iron was 3 which is life threatening as everything is deprived of oxygen, and again in July 2011 when my iron was 4. I am so grateful to those that donate, my husband has ever since and obviously I cant as much as I would like to.

I give blood. I am Oneg x
I am too. The Blood Service have been phoning me constantly while I was pregnant asking when I was going to give blood again - they have now noted my section date on their system so they can contact me again once I am able to donate again, so clearly they are in desperate need of donors.

My daughter is A neg, and as well as needing the transfusion, the bypass machine had to be filled too so I think she used quite a bit of blood!

Has anyone ever donated platelets? Is it any different and can you still give blood? xx

:happydance:..

I use to give blood for the blood bank then I go Diabetes :evil: and couldn't do it anymore. It cut me deep. Stupid condition.

OH does it now on my behalf.

Well done everyone else who does it though :).

Glad your daughter is doing better !
Good on everyone who donates!
I would love to but am not allowed due to suffering from Dengue fever when younger.

I'm O neg so got the calls when pregnant too. I've been giving for a few years and was considering donating platelets too - you can do that far more often than blood donation. However I had to have a transfusion when my LO was born as I lost so much blood and now I can't donate anymore. I'm actually gutted, strange as that sounds. I used to love seeing my bag of blood marked for neonate use. Awesome to think I was helping save the lives of babies. Both my parents are O neg too and at least one of my brothers (the others are too young to give but I assume with two O neg parents that they would be too) so I'm going to get convincing them to donate on my behalf. If I can't do it I'm gonna talk others into doing it lol. Glad your daughter is ok now x

So glad your LO is doing better!

Thank you for the reminder, I so want to give blood it's just getting someone to help with LO.

Im glad your daughter is ok :) I am going to start donating as i have a rare blood type i never used to because i had a fear of blood tests i used pass out when they withdraw my blood but since having baby and the amount of bloods taken i have more or less gotton over my fear and woukd kive to donate

I LOVE giving blood. I'm A negative. It just makes me feel so good about myself!

Get well soon to your LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->