To all you great cooks out there

Momma2b2010

Reaction score
Well I'm a terrible cook, maybe considering my mom passed when i was 11 years old leaving my dad and brother. My dad has no idea how to cook except hamburger helper, and my brother well cereal is his specialty. Just wondering what are some quick and easy meals a beginner can do?:winkwink:

hey :)

Starting out learning the basics is always good then you can kind of build off that iykwim.
So try a simple chicken recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zzXU3yI0c

then make some potatoes and a veggie potatoes you can boil them till they are tender (stick with a fork lol)

I think the best thing you could buy is a slow cooker because you can just throw alot of ingredients in to it and let it cook all day :) xx

Currys are really fun to make, easy too.
Fry the chicken peices until goldeny brown and coooked!!
Then either buy an already made curry sauce to pour over the top while your boiling your rice, or make your own curry sauce.
(I prefere the jar already made curry sauces - Lloyd Groseman ones are yummy) x

Hello. So, you're young, in the USA and need to gain some weight. If you tell me what you DO like to eat, and what excites you, perhaps I can help you out with some simple recipes that are delicious and nutritious for both you AND your baby!
If you could have anything to eat, what would it be? How do you feel about fish? Fruit and vegetables? Are you living alone or with parents/relatives/partner? What is your food budget like?

If you like to PM me or put it in this thread, entirely up to you, but, I'd like to help.
(P.S... It's what I do, I'm actually a chef in real life.)

Hello. So, you're young, in the USA and need to gain some weight. If you tell me what you DO like to eat, and what excites you, perhaps I can help you out with some simple recipes that are delicious and nutritious for both you AND your baby!
If you could have anything to eat, what would it be? How do you feel about fish? Fruit and vegetables? Are you living alone or with parents/relatives/partner? What is your food budget like?

If you like to PM me or put it in this thread, entirely up to you, but, I'd like to help.
(P.S... It's what I do, I'm actually a chef in real life.)

Hey chef,
do u know any fun recipes that i could cook for a three yr old boy???

thnx

Hello sanouette
You can make anything fun by just using a bit of creativity and imagination. By three, my children where eating mostly what I was albeit cut much smaller and minus the salt, heavy spices and chillies; I would just 'present' their food slightly differently.

For instance, using cookie cutters to cut out sandwich shapes, creating a "scene" using things like mashed potatoes as sand, steamed broccoli as trees, steamed carrot flowers (cut down the sides of the carrot to create the petals, then slice into flowers) and fish or animals made from chicken breast or ham, etc. Children have great imaginations and if you tell them this plate of food is a Pirate's Ship or a Jungle or the Seaside, they'll play along and see it.

Another fun thing is to use a muffin tin and base the food around a 'theme' such as 'Green Food' (colour recognition) or 'six pieces of...' (matching, numbers and counting) or 'Food that Starts with the Letter 'C' etc' (naming) or 'Food from a Favourite Story or Nursery Rhyme' (memory.)

Here is the site of Muffin Tin Mom who organises weekly 'Muffin Tin Mondays' and she does it with flair and creativity! https://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/search/label/Muffin%20Tin%20Monday

I'm lucky that none of my children were picky eaters, why weren't they? They never got the choice to BE picky. Our rule is you take a spoonful/forkful of anything to try, and after chewing it and swallowing it and you don't like it, you don't have to eat it again. Unless you change your mind later. And, f they decided against something on one occasion, they always decided to have it again later, eventually. I believe that's empowering your child to be able to make a choice when they are young. Then it doesn't become an issue later.

I always gave my children raw veg to eat from a VERY young age, so they got the taste for it, like using frozen organic garden peas to add to hot food (such as soup) to cool it down. They could stir it in and tell me if they needed more to make the food cooler.

I always had different colours of raw bell pepper strips, carrot flower slices, satsumas, sliced unpeeled hothouse/European cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etcetera on hand in the fridge for snacks or with us if we went out for the day.

I think it's wise to remember that children (and adults!) only NEED the amount/volume of food that is between the size of their one fist or two fists together for a meal, and no more. Which seems very little from our adult viewpoint, but is just right for THEM. (One fist is the size of a normal empty stomach, two fists is the size of a normal full stomach.)

Make sure that fistful is packed full of good, nutritious stuff, no junk!

I hope that helps!

Spag bol is quick and simple :) I love it make it at least once a week, you can really bump up your daily fruit and veg with it too.

1)Put your spaghetti in pan of boiling salted water
2)Chop an onion, fry in saucepan with a little oil or butter, add 300g mince meat (frozen and fresh work great!). When mince is cooked add a beef stock cube, I dont know what you get over in the US but I use OXO cubes so if you can get something similar that will work great.
3) (optional) Add 5/6 chopped mushrooms and 1 chopped courgette, cook until soft.
4) Add a tin of chopped tomatoes
5) Add salt, pepper, basil and lemon juice to taste
6) Serve with spaghetti!

This makes enough for 4 people

Hello sanouette
You can make anything fun by just using a bit of creativity and imagination. By three, my children where eating mostly what I was albeit cut much smaller and minus the salt, heavy spices and chillies; I would just 'present' their food slightly differently.

For instance, using cookie cutters to cut out sandwich shapes, creating a "scene" using things like mashed potatoes as sand, steamed broccoli as trees, steamed carrot flowers (cut down the sides of the carrot to create the petals, then slice into flowers) and fish or animals made from chicken breast or ham, etc. Children have great imaginations and if you tell them this plate of food is a Pirate's Ship or a Jungle or the Seaside, they'll play along and see it.

Another fun thing is to use a muffin tin and base the food around a 'theme' such as 'Green Food' (colour recognition) or 'six pieces of...' (matching, numbers and counting) or 'Food that Starts with the Letter 'C' etc' (naming) or 'Food from a Favourite Story or Nursery Rhyme' (memory.)

Here is the site of Muffin Tin Mom who organises weekly 'Muffin Tin Mondays' and she does it with flair and creativity! https://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/search/label/Muffin%20Tin%20Monday

I'm lucky that none of my children were picky eaters, why weren't they? They never got the choice to BE picky. Our rule is you take a spoonful/forkful of anything to try, and after chewing it and swallowing it and you don't like it, you don't have to eat it again. Unless you change your mind later. And, f they decided against something on one occasion, they always decided to have it again later, eventually. I believe that's empowering your child to be able to make a choice when they are young. Then it doesn't become an issue later.

I always gave my children raw veg to eat from a VERY young age, so they got the taste for it, like using frozen organic garden peas to add to hot food (such as soup) to cool it down. They could stir it in and tell me if they needed more to make the food cooler.

I always had different colours of raw bell pepper strips, carrot flower slices, satsumas, sliced unpeeled hothouse/European cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etcetera on hand in the fridge for snacks or with us if we went out for the day.

I think it's wise to remember that children (and adults!) only NEED the amount/volume of food that is between the size of their one fist or two fists together for a meal, and no more. Which seems very little from our adult viewpoint, but is just right for THEM. (One fist is the size of a normal empty stomach, two fists is the size of a normal full stomach.)

Make sure that fistful is packed full of good, nutritious stuff, no junk!

I hope that helps!

thanks a bunch for all the useful info :kiss:

u seem to be a consistent parent which is great!!:thumbup:

u said that you started giving ur children raw vegetables and fruits at very young age ... do u remember how young were they??? ... the doc gave us this net where we would put an apple and the baby keep biting and suckin the juice!!

ANiceCuppaTea wow the site is just what i was lookin for.. perfect!!
:hugs:

If you're after some recipe books - I swear by the Australian Women's Weekly series. They are completely idiot proof and really good. You can get them in most bigger book shops.

:)

thanks a bunch for all the useful info :kiss:

u seem to be a consistent parent which is great!!:thumbup:

u said that you started giving ur children raw vegetables and fruits at very young age ... do u remember how young were they??? ... the doc gave us this net where we would put an apple and the baby keep biting and suckin the juice!!

Hi Sanouette! I'm glad you like that site. I love to nose around all the Moms and Mums who follow that approach of using a muffin tin, you get some brilliant ideas!

And thank you for the compliment! :hugs:

My son's first sentence was, I kid you not, "I LIKE onion!" :laugh2: I would thinly slice a red onion and he would gnaw on that from probably 16 months, it might have been earlier, I forget (he is almost 22!) I would also give him raw grated apple in a little Tupperware covered dish to eat and and a baggie of raw red, green and yellow bell pepper strips, steamed carrot slices and raw organic garden peas. Nothing that he could bite off and choke on. Usually he would 'gum' the veggies until all the juice was gone, it felt good while he was teething.

As he got older, and could chew, I gave him apple slices, washed but unpeeled hothouse cucumber slices and Spirulina tablets! He LOVED Spirulina tablets. Once, when I was driving with my sister, and she had put her handbag down next to him in the back with a half-empty bottle of Spirulina tabs in it, he very quietly took it out, opened it and ate nearly the rest of the bottle, probably more than 50 tablets, he was two! He was so quiet, I thought he was sleeping, looked back to see his mouth covered in green and a sneaky look on his face. No, it didn't hurt him whatsoever.

I did exactly the same for introducing vegetables to my daughters (who are 10 & 12, now) and they both now eat a varied diet, neither are afraid to try something new. My littlest goes wild for cherry tomatoes and will polish off a 500g container by herself. They still love raw onion and tiny slices of raw garlic, as well.
We do 'Meatless Monday' and 'Végétarien Vendredi' (vegetarian Friday) every week and they help me decide what we will eat, help me prepare, even down to occasionally cooking it all themselves as it's their day for the kitchen!

Have fun! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"