To scrap or not to scrap

alienbabe4321

Mummy to gorgeous Louis
Reaction score
My DF has recently had to take his car off the road due to engine problems. Now he's wondering whether or not to just get rid.

A few points to be aware of:

He's currently using my car for travel to and from work so commuting isn't an issue.

His hobby is modifying his car and I feel he may drive me crazy if he doesn't have his car as he's easily bored. He also has a sentimental attachment.

Modifying a car takes money.

The car is currently taking up room on my parent's driveway.

We both can't make a decision on this so I'm wondering what you ladies think from a non-bias stand point.

I'll answer any questions that may help you help me.

I think it depends on what the engine problems are? There's a world of difference between a minor part and a whole new engine

Also the age and mileage of the car, and personal affordability

A new engine would be needed due to a number of little problems that led to the break down. It's 17 years old, done just over 70,000 miles and affordability is not a factor as DF would be using it as a "project car". This would mean parts and alterations are done as and when.

70,000 miles on a 17 yr old car is really good, however you need to consider the costs and availability of parts. Labour would be free so that would save a fair bit. I suppose you just need to work out how much the parts cost as well as the hours needed to fix it.

Actually very low mileage on an older car isn't a great sign, there is a high chance of it not being genuine (although you may have paperwork to bqck the mileage up), or it may not have done enough year on year to keep parts working well, especially if it hasn't been serviced regularly. we once got an 8 year old car with just under 30000 on it, genuine mileage as it came from my gran who bought it new, first time I took it on the duel carriageway it started smoking from under the bonnet. Turned out it hadn't traveled long enough or fast enough to warm up properly and had been leaking oil on to some wires etc since probably just after its last service, which was just under a year before that. plus 70000 is the mark around where more things do start going wrong with cars. When looking for an old car about 9,000/10,000 a year should be what you look for

It's a Nissan Micra and the 70,000 miles is right as we have full service history for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->