to the woman who called me nasty for nursing in public today...

rhii

Reaction score
To the ignorant woman at Walmart who called me nasty for feeding my son partially uncovered, I am sorry that you don't understand how beautiful breastfeeding is. I'm sorry you have been influenced by a society often plagued with hatred. Next time I will go totally uncovered just for you. It saddens me beyond belief that someone could think something so natural and wonderful is "nasty." Women walk around with their breasts nearly exposed on the beach, or wearing low cut tops out shopping, but I am condemned for showing the same amount of skin because I'm nursing my child. Your comment has inspired me, not to cover up or hide away, but to encourage other women to nurse in public to help normalize breastfeeding. I can only hope that one day things will be different.

That is so sad and horrible! It is really sad that our society thinks breastfeeding in public is so taboo. I am not so much for women busting there boob out with no coverage (personal opinion) but I think breast feeding covered up is just fine. It is sad that because so many women don't do it much because its uncomfortable ( me being one) causes society to be so weird about it. I am trying to bf more in public and I am doing it more at friends houses but I am still nervous to do it in a restaurant or store. I can't seem to stay covered and get him to latch on. Is there any tricks? If I could do it easier without flashing my boob I would do it everywhere. Bf is so natural, it should be just like seeing someone give a baby a bottle.

what is wrong with people??!!! it's the most natural thing in the world.
I find it awkward to cover up when feeding in public, but I still try but why should I, it's gets annoying and sometimes if the cover has fallen off ( usually lo has pulled it off!) then I just don't bother to hide although i'm usually in a corner anyway.
Stand tall and do what you need and ignore the ignorant ones who don't even deserve your acknowledgement!

Breast feeding is Something so natural and beautiful .this post was inspirational .thank you for taking someone's ignorance and making it positive :)

Thanks for the support, ladies! I hope you never let comments like this discourage you.

I'm definitely one for being shy about NIP, I normally go back to the car if there isn't a separate feeding area as I struggle to stay covered and get DD to latch properly without me guiding her. But I have treated myself to a nursing cover so that I can try and increase my confidence.

I nurse in the Ergo and LO is such a snacker that she often unlatches. Countless people have seen my boob and nipple and I have never had anyone come up to me yet. If someone ever has anything rude to say to me, I'm so prepared to respond, I'm almost looking forward to it.

It's so frustrating that people have such a negative attitude toward breastfeeding these days!

That is so sad and horrible! It is really sad that our society thinks breastfeeding in public is so taboo. I am not so much for women busting there boob out with no coverage (personal opinion) but I think breast feeding covered up is just fine. It is sad that because so many women don't do it much because its uncomfortable ( me being one) causes society to be so weird about it. I am trying to bf more in public and I am doing it more at friends houses but I am still nervous to do it in a restaurant or store. I can't seem to stay covered and get him to latch on. Is there any tricks? If I could do it easier without flashing my boob I would do it everywhere. Bf is so natural, it should be just like seeing someone give a baby a bottle.

The nursing covers with a strap that goes aroynd your neck and a band so that you can look down on them and see things yourself made it much easier for me than just using a blanket.. Although it probably took until he was about 3 months before I felt like it was not fairly difficult with a drape.. (Not saying anyone needs to cover up, I just also feel more comfortable that way.)
My other suggestion for getting started nursing in public covered would be to have your OH shield you with a blanket, get the baby latched well, then drape a blanket over and just try to keep him latched.
For me it got easier the more times I tried it.

I've been thanked for feeding in public. I was feeding my lil one in a cafe by just slipping a boob out for her and using a muslin to cover myself. A woman came up to me and said she was glad to see someone feeding and not being afraid to do it.

I feed dd pretty much anywhere she needs to be fed as I think her needs have got to come first. My 87 yr old father in law also approves!! He occasionally sat "guard" on a bench so I could face the other way and feed!!

I never make a big deal or flash my boobs around but I have fed her in public a lot. It does get easier!! (she's six months old now!)

The nursing covers with a strap that goes aroynd your neck and a band so that you can look down on them and see things yourself made it much easier for me than just using a blanket.. Although it probably took until he was about 3 months before I felt like it was not fairly difficult with a drape.. (Not saying anyone needs to cover up, I just also feel more comfortable that way.)
My other suggestion for getting started nursing in public covered would be to have your OH shield you with a blanket, get the baby latched well, then drape a blanket over and just try to keep him latched.

I am so clumsy with it! I see other women doing that but when I do it, it doesn't seem to work. I find myself putting my head under the nursing blanket to get him latched :haha: I have almost got to the point where I just don't care who sees my boob but I reel myself back in lol. Maybe I just don't have the right nursing blanket...

Go, you! I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with breastfeeding in public. People can be so ignorant! Breastfeeding is the most natural thing ever, all mammals do it. You would never see a mammal having to hide when they are breastfeeding their young!

Are used to be terrified of feeding in public and used to freeze up if Holly cried when we were in public in case she needed feeding. But I soon found that it was very easy to breastfeed discreetly in public and nobody usually noticed. I think it's good to breastfeed in public because it's important for breastfeeding to be normalised. I remember when I was a teenager and I saw a lady breastfeeding in a coffee shop, I was so embarrassed and didn't know where to look. It's so sad that so many people feel this way!

You're doing great with the breastfeeding, go mama! :)

I am so clumsy with it! I see other women doing that but when I do it, it doesn't seem to work. I find myself putting my head under the nursing blanket to get him latched :haha: I have almost got to the point where I just don't care who sees my boob but I reel myself back in lol. Maybe I just don't have the right nursing blanket...

It will get easier! This is exactly how I felt for awhile! What helped me with that kind of nursing cover was realizing that the strap around the neck is adjustable. I find that keeping it shorter helps keep the band up high enough for me to peer in, also I pull the cover down and tuck it under his head so there's a clear view and I have hands free.
Try practicing while at home so you can get used to it!

Honestly, some babies do not do well with the cover, but they still need to eat, too! So I feel like you gotta do whatever to feed your baby. I am totally for using a cover on myself, and have been very shy from day 1 about my boobs showing. However, over time I've gotten to the point where I don't care as much about it showing. I usually wear a nursing tank top underneath a normal shirt- I pull the shirt up and the tank top down, so everything stays pretty covered anyhow! I still think women should attempt to cover part of their boobs if possible, but at the same time feeding your baby is the most important thing! People can't expect moms to hide away constantly or just stay home. At 1 year old, my LO still nurses 5-6x a day- we just have to go with the flow and NIP whether I have a cover with me or not.

P.S. To the OP: I can't believe someone said that to you!! So sorry :hugs:!! But I'm glad that particular person witnessed you NIP, because it sounds like she hasn't seen much of that. Maybe more exposures (no pun here! haha) and she can learn to be more understanding!

Some babies don't want to latch with a cover. I wouldn't want to eat with a blanket on my head. Wearing a tank and tee shirt or a tank and button down you can cover everything and your nipple comes out for only a moment until baby is latched on. Fabric covers the rest. It's explained better here. https://www.nursingfreedom.org/2010/07/making-nursing-in-public-comfortable.html

I have social anxiety and used to be nervous to NIP but after the first day of having family around and inevitably exposing myself I gave up caring. I rarely use a cover, its too fiddly and LO hates being covered so I bought a nursing jumper with buttons on the sides so I can latch him easily but stay covered. Most people say they don't even notice I'm feeding him.

Hopefully there will be a day were it will be normal and mums don't risk alienation for just doing what's best for their babies.

I recently bought a nursing cover to try to build my confidence with NIP, I usually just try to go back to the car if DD needed a feed but today I fed her in the middle of a busy food court at our local shopping mall. I don't think anyone really noticed. The one lady I saw who had seen me feeding and was looking over, the moment I made eye contact, she looked away as if embarrassed. I feel empowered right now!! :haha:

My son absolutely HATES covers...so if people see side boob, then tough shit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->