To those Mumma's who have had big babies

Leo_Mumma

Reaction score
Can I please have some positive stories of big baby deliveries please?? :)

At my last apt my midwife said that little man is going to be a big lad. At least 9lbs. I know that's not huge and I'm not worried about the pain I'm just terrified of him getting his shoulders stuck and either dislocating a shoulder or being starved of oxygen! Dad's 6'7 and naturally built and all the men on both sides of our family have very broad shoulders. I'm only 5'4!

DS wasn't huge but was on the larger size considering I'm small- I'm 5ft 2, he was 9lbs 15 at birth. I had a good labour and birth, no shoulder dystocia or other problems. I had a tear but it was fine and it hurt less pushing him out than my 2nd who was only 8lb :).

My first was 10lb3oz, after a long labour he was pushed out in less than half an hour and I had no tears, no pain relief either.
My second was 7lb13oz and was more painful to birth.
Xx

Thank you ladies. Just what I needed to hear and really gives me hope. Tearing, episiotomy and the pain prepared for it all.. I just want my chunky monkey safe!

If you keep active and don't have an epidural and birth in any position other than on your back you can probably avoid all those nasty cuts and tears.

Xx

Hey there my baby is in the 90 th centile and I'm petite but the sonographer was telling me last week......'you know bigger babies can be easier to give birth too, often women don't need to push for so long or so hard and so can actually be less likely to tear/ need episiotomy!'
Made me feel better!!!!!!

Baby no2 weighed 10lb 9oz and I pushed her out on gas and air without any injuries caused to me or my daughter. I'm a bit worried that this baby will be as big or even bigger as my babies have very large heads and shoulders but if she is then I shall hope that she enters the world as smoothly as her two sisters did x

My DS was bigger than my DD and a far easier birth. He was almost 10lbs and I had no pain relief with him. He was super long when he was born rather than broad.

Husband is 5' 6" and I'm 5' 4". However I do have tall relatives. Anyway daughter was 9 lbs 3 oz and 22 inches.

I went to my doctor's apt on a Monday and was 4cm and 80% effaced. Thursday night 39w 5d, I started labor at 9 at night. Came on without warning. Strong contractions every two minutes apart. Went in, got an epidural at 11 ish. I could however move...a lot...and easily. Honestly the only thing that was numb was my hips and vagina XD So it was nice.

At 2 ish in the morning I was given pitocen. I had gotten to 6cm and just stopped. At 6:30Am I was ready to push fully dilated. I pushed whatever way felt comfy for me. Back, on all fours, side, etc. Baby was here at 8:01AM so only 90 minutes of pushing.

This was my first baby and no problem at all with pushing or anything. I had faith in my body that it knew what it was going to do. And my body did exactly what it needed to do. No troubles at all. And we were NOT expecting a big baby, not even my doctor.

I did however, hemorrhage (not to scare you) real quickly after daughter was born. I lost 2 liters of blood because my uterus was way too exhausted to clamp down afterwards. I was given a lot of drugs and other things, but the bleeding did stop and they were ready for a hemorrhage. (My hospital is always ready for a hemorrhage in every room since you dont' know who will and who wont). Besides being quite exhausted and tired from the hemorrhage I was fine. Couldn't hold my daughter for long until a few days later, but everything was fine.

I am expected to have another 9 lb plus baby this go around. However, my doctor says if everything is 'ripe' he will induce early.

At my last apt my midwife said that little man is going to be a big lad. At least 9lbs. I know that's not huge and I'm not worried about the pain I'm just terrified of him getting his shoulders stuck and either dislocating a shoulder or being starved of oxygen! Dad's 6'7 and naturally built and all the men on both sides of our family have very broad shoulders. I'm only 5'4!

9lbs is huge!!! Lol!!! If that's not huge I'm a baby!

6.8-6.12 is what my babies run. lol whew! Got sweaty just thinking of it.

If you keep active and don't have an epidural and birth in any position other than on your back you can probably avoid all those nasty cuts and tears.

Xx

I've got 2 massive dogs so I'm not allowed to rest haha. I'm out at last a couple ours a day with them. I'm planning on going natural and have always pictured myself giving birth on my knees (don't know why lol) so hopefully will go to plan... Its not the sort of thing you can plan as such though is it!? Would be nice to get away without a tear :)

Hey there my baby is in the 90 th centile and I'm petite but the sonographer was telling me last week......'you know bigger babies can be easier to give birth too, often women don't need to push for so long or so hard and so can actually be less likely to tear/ need episiotomy!'
Made me feel better!!!!!!

I have heard this too actually! It's just the what if that I'm worried about. If he doesn't get stuck I'm quite confident I can get him out safe and sound. I just pray he doesn't go over and end up 11lb haha

Baby no2 weighed 10lb 9oz and I pushed her out on gas and air without any injuries caused to me or my daughter. I'm a bit worried that this baby will be as big or even bigger as my babies have very large heads and shoulders but if she is then I shall hope that she enters the world as smoothly as her two sisters did x

So the shoulders weren't a problem? Was your 2nd bigger than your first? All my family have got big heads lol. I must say that's a cutie in your profile pic!! :)

9lbs is huge!!! Lol!!! If that's not huge I'm a baby!

6.8-6.12 is what my babies run. lol whew! Got sweaty just thinking of it.

Haha don't say that!! ;) I'm one of 6 and my Mums biggest was 7.7lbs and she was adamant that I would have a 6lb bub. I told her from the beginning though and now she cant stop worrying! She's way more scared than me haha

LO was tiny but his head was on the 92nd percentile and no tears or anything. I just didn't push until my body took over and did it for me. Did the trick!

So the shoulders weren't a problem? Was your 2nd bigger than your first? All my family have got big heads lol. I must say that's a cutie in your profile pic!! :)

Ahh that's baby no1 in my profile pic, she really was a cutie but thanks! She weighed 8lb 10oz so that was quite a leap to the 10lb 9oz that dd2 weighed. Dd2 was also 63cm long so she was just all over BIG! Big heads also run in my family but no her shoulders didn't get stuck, thankfully. Mind you I did give birth with my OH in a headlock! lol. They're keeping a closer eye on me this time so we have a better idea of the size of baby. All the midwives who look at my notes always say how good it is that I didn't have any issues pushing out such a large baby and I know it is but I do think I was lucky. I think I'm more worried this time as I now know what could have happened, the thought of baby getting 'stuck' is terrifying no matter how many times you've given birth - trust me xx

I am worried my little guy will be big as well since I am measuring ahead several weeks.

I found a website about birthing positions and one that was suggested for large babies is on your hands and knees because it opens up your pelvis a lot. Try not to deliver on your back and that reduces the size of your pelvis. Thought it was interesting. You know though you just go with whatever is comfortable and feel right at the time.

Here is a link to the site. https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/birth-positions.html

You can also just search for best birthing positions for large babies and see what you come up with.

Here is another site I found that also suggests hands and knees for large babies.

https://www.pregnancy.org/article/birthing-positions

Definitely hands and knees if possible, dd was born at home (average sized) on my knees leaning on the sofa with my elbows and she didn't take any effort in pushing more like effort to stop her coming fast. I was on my back for ds but bed was really elevated at the head end.
Xx

I managed to deliver my first son naturally as well, he was 10lbs 1oz and 23 inches long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->