To those who had elective sections

Pink_Tinks

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this really so hope i get some replies!!
Im having an elective section for mine and babys safety after an emergency section last time, and i have my consultant/booking in apt on Monday

Is there anythin i should ask?! Im having brain block!! I am goin to ask what kind if stitches they will use but im sure there are other things i need to consider or ask.

Bit all over the place at the mo - last day at work today before mat leave, n also bein made redundant in a few weeks so could do with some help n advice as my head doesnt work

i haven't had one, but had an emcs with dd1. what i'd probably ask if i did this time;

how long the hospital stay will be
how quickly you want baby onto your chest
pain relief afterwards
care afterwards - making sure wound is well looked after and reduce infection risk
time you need to be there
visiting hours for family

:flower: you'll be fine, i've heard fab things about elective sections, seems much more relaxed and easy as opposed to the emcs xx

I had emergency and so did my sister and SIL... In fact all my mums grandchildren were born via c section :haha:

I dont know what you could ask but wishing you the best

You could think about things like asking for the IV to be placed in your non-dominant hand, so you can hold your LO more easily ASAP :) Do you want music playing during the operation (if they allow it)? Do you want the operating team to confirm the gender to you, or do you want them to raise baby up for you to "check" for yourself? Do you want the screen kept up whilst baby is born, or lowered so you can see baby emerge (you wouldn't be able to see the actual incision probably, as your bump would be in the way). Would you like to have skin-to-skin immediately (or certainly ASAP)? If for some reason you can't hold baby, ask that your partner does it instead.

That's off the top of my head from reading I've done :). If you google something like "elective caeserean checklist" there are some websites out there with quite good ideas :)

Ask if the catheter is put in after the spinal block, they usually do but just check because it's not a nice thing to feel!
Ask about meds for after (I bought some arnica pills from boots. Herbal and they help speed up the healing, I started taking them a few hours after the surgery. Not sure if i would have healed quickly anyway, but I did heal very quickly and a lot of people swear by it).
Ask about the babies and skin to skin contact, my babies were wrapped up, weighed and brought to me straight away onto my chest in a blanket whilst they stitched me up. When they finished and they moved me out of surgery and had skin to skin contact with both at the same time which was about 45 mins after the surgery and was amazing :)

Just some tips for you; I'd advise you start trying to walk as soon as possible (next day) and take some peppermint tea bags with you as they help settle your stomach, you can get bloated and gassy after the surgery! Also take some straws, it can be hard to angle yourself to drink properly for the first couple of days and straws help so much.
I was out of hospital in 2 days and all went really well, I had a really positive experience. Hope it all goes well for you, pm me if you want to ask any questions or anything :flower:

Thanks ladies.
Im hoping this is goin to go ok, tbh i dont think it can be any worse than the emergency section last time which i was awake 4, and i did recover really well n rather fast so am hoping the same happens this time!!
Peppermint tea advice thanks, i remember the discomfort n it was horrid!

I had an elective with my LO and it was absolutely fine so first of all try and relax. The trauma on ur body is no where near as bad/much as an emcs.

Get up and walk asap. i was walking that same night when my section was that morning. Also though dont do to much, dont try and rush yourself.#

xxx

thing id ask if i was to elect a section this time are -

reducing infection risk (i got mrsa last time :dohh:)

what stitches they are using (mine didnt disolve last time)

what aftercare i should recieve?

cant think of anything else but good luck apparently electives are much better then EMCS xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->