• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tongue tie experiences please!

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
I was told today when my sweet Ava was discharged from the NICU that she has a tongue tie. I have a pediatrician appointment setup for her tomorrow morning for her standard checkup and to get the tongue tie checked out. I would love to hear any stories you ladies might have when it comes to tongue tie and breastfeeding. I am also a little concerned about the procedure that they would do to correct it. So any information you ladies have concerning that would be great as well! Thanks so much in advance.

Some babies have TT and it doesn't affect feeding, other it affects a lot - even bottle feeding. I don't think it is something that you can tell by looking (how it will affect feeding) but I hear that paeds and dentists make conclusions all the time despite what women are reporting.

The procedure is very simple. Sometimes babies don't even cry, if they do it is usually for a few seconds only and can be comforted by..........a breastfeed! It is more complex and can require anaesthetic when done later in to childhood.

James had a 70% tongue tie. Breastfeeding wasn't painful at all but he had such a light latch and had gaps in the side of his mouth where the milk would dribble out and he would get in so much pain after every feed. My HV made a referral to a children's hospital to have it clipped but we had to wait until he was 3 months old because of the waiting lists. It was a horrible wait but his latch was much better once we had it done, although it took a bit longer for the gas issues to improve. I do think he would have had issues with eating solids had we not had it sorted, because he could barely lift his tongue.

It was a really simple procedure, it just took seconds really. He cried for about 5 minutes and it stopped bleeding pretty much straight away and that was it :)

Bev, I know you saw my post on FB. I think it's a tie now because she dribbles and has horrible gas :(. I'm hoping I can get someone willing to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->