Too early to buy school shoes for September??

roxie78

Mom of 2
Reaction score
I know its only the start of July but my son starts reception in September and have noticed Brantano have 40% off all the shoes till Sunday and obviously that is a good saving on stuff like Clarks or Start Rite! His feet haven't grown much at all much in the past year, maybe just half a size lol

But from experience do you think its still too early to buy for him now incase of a growth spurt? I know the sensible answer is to wait but I'm just thinking of the money I could be saving lol (or not if they dont fit much after September...)

Hope not!
I picked up some start rite for £20 in a sale that are half a size bigger than she is now.
Hoping they'll be ok!

Depends on the kid . I wouldn't just because when my son has a growth spurt he can go up a full size in a month .

I did for last year and I've done the same for this year, for the same reason! I think it would depend on how quickly their feet grow, DD1s grow v v slowly! xx

I personally wouldn't buy shoes in advance. Children are known for having growth spurts over the summer holidays. It's all the sun and playing outdoors that does it. My two usually grow by at least 1 full size do buying a half size up just wouldn't work. You also shouldn't really be buying shoes that haven't been fitted as just because they are a size 8f doesn't mean that the next size up will be a size 8 1/2 or 9f. Width fitting can change too.
My sons school always has a teacher training day around the end if Sept so if I haven't been able to get shoes at the beginning of sept then I'll go on the TT day.

I think it depends n the child. I was tempted because of the sales buy my boy never stops growing!!xx

In the end I decided to leave it lol but his feet are growing so slow this year I reckon I could have got away with it though!

You might be surprised at how quickly they grow between now and September. My son only ever needs a change if shoe due to growing once a year and that's after the summer holidays.

Got him measured today in a couple of shops just out of curiosity! He is currently wearing Clarks 9.5G. Went to John Lewis first who agreed he still had room in his current trainers but measured him as a 10.5G !! Then went to an independent shop who measured him on a Start Rite gauge at 9.5F Hmmm not too much difference between the 2 shops lol!

Startrite and Clarks gauges measure dufferently so that would explain the difference there.

Im buying LO's shoes for nursery a week before he starts :rofl: Made an appointment with clarks already to skip the crazy queues and ticket system

What are the exchange/return policies of the store you are going to buy from? I work in a kid's clothing store, and you have 2 months to exchange for full refund or 6 months for store credit to that store. :flower:

We have lots of people who buy stuff and tuck it away, if it doesn't fit their kiddos then they can either get their money back or buy something else. :)

Startrite and Clarks gauges measure dufferently so that would explain the difference there.

Yeah but its only half a size difference from experience not a whole size! It was my husband who got him measured and even though my son went in wearing Clark's trainers, they measured him on a start rite gage even though they had a Clark's one as well as they sell both. Madness!

That is strange. I tend to steer clear of places that sell both Startrite and Clarks are they will usually try to push one over the other.
We have 1 shop locally that sells Startrite (my preferred shoes) but they sell Clarks too and also push the Clarks shoes. They also have a tendency to measure incorrectly - well they have done with me.
The shoe shop I end up going to is a drive of between 30 & 60 min away but the service is brilliant.

Yea there is an independent shoe shop that I haven't been to that is family owned and just think I'd get better service there so I might try that one next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->