Too late for cloth? Ethan is 8mo

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I'm considering putting Ethan into cloth.

We tried cloth early on. Initially he was only 6lb and prem so it went out of the window but tried when he was about 2months old. Tried Little Lambs, Tots Bots, (boring) and so tried Itti's. NOTHING fit properly around his legs, and they were so bulky on him that I'd have to get a size bigger trousers, and then they were far too long on him (he was in a size smaller trousers than tops back then too).
Now though, he's caught up. He's a good 18lbs now and has a bit more fat on him lol. I hope that nappies would fit now, but it was so costly and time consuming trying out the other brands last time I'm still a bit worried. Do they leak more when babies start to crawl. I got so fed up of the boring boys selections last time but I've seen some lovely ones on here lately. Also, I've come to love the pampers and the ease of using them, so not sure I'd cope with the extra washing now.

So ladies, any advice of whether it's worth trying again, possible good brands to start with (if I'm going to do it I need some funky nappies) whether btp or just size 2/3 and any opinions? :)

I know of Baby Kind and Cheeks and Cherries - any other recommended websites?

Hiya honey - it's never to late to switch! one reusable used is one less in landfill!

at the top of the section there a whole list of shops that have been recommended by members on here. also an idea of types, reviews etc.

great boy prints are things like the weehuggers, bambooty, and you can't go wrong with nice functional bumgenius nappies. Keep your eye open for pre-loved though on the nappy sell thread.

Not too late to start at all :)

My LO is only 16lbs 14oz, and I find that Itti Bitti AIOs, WeeNotions Onesize, WeeNotions side snaps (in medium), and Issy Bears give a really good fit at the moment. I haven't had any leaks or explosions with her crawling or cruising either :thumbup:

We had a break from cloth for a while too, because my Mum (bless her) bought us oodles and oodles of Pampers. Added to that, the nappies which we'd bought (ebay cheapies, all we could afford at the time) had stopped fitting LO well, so it seemed easier to just go into Pampers. I did wonder about going back to cloth after the "ease" of sposies, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I don't find doing the extra washing a chore at all. I tend to wash every 3 days, so it's not that many extra washes in a week.

There's a big market in pre-loved nappies too, so if you wanted to get a few to try, it's worth looking around the swap&sell thread in here, and on places like Cloth Nappy tree :)

Do it - you won't regret it LOL. I love Leo's fluffy butt and its great fun deciding what nappy to put him in each time.

Also I feel proud to know that I am helping the environment and the earth for my children.

Plus I love washing things - strange I know but I love stuff coming out of the washing machine clean and fresh :blush:

For nappies to fit under clothes I find flips are good and the ittis.

I sometimes struggle a bit with jeans and stuff but I don't like hard jeans on my baby so he tends to wear trackie bottoms

The itti's didn't fit well last time around but maybe now that he has proper chubby legs they will! Do they resell well? I don't want to spend loads of money like last time!!! Are weenotions very bulky then? How about issybears? Remind me what flips are again (what brand)

ittis have just released a one-size nappy the tutto - not sure what the resale value on these will be yet
flips are a bumgenius nappy - they're a fab stash builder as you only need a few wraps and can buy many inserts ie i have 7 staydry & 8 organic inserts but only 6 flips wraps (and three weehugger wraps) :)

never too late ive just put my 26/27 month old into cloth again lol, ive got my next one to pass the nappies onto so dont mind buying some new but so far my stash is all preloved.
my 5mth old is over 20lbs and im getting a good fit on him with the 97kgallery ebaycheapies and not had a leak with them yet, its a bit of trial and error to see what fits on your child best

its never too late!
ittis sell really well on here, there are always a few floating around! and there are LOTS of nice boys nappies, i find i just need to look harder!!

The itti tutto is apparently very good, and ittis (either kind) should fit better now he has chunkier legs :)

Jump right in, you can always sell them on if you dont get along with them again xx

definitely not too late- infact, perfect timing probably, I find cloth is far better now than it was when she was tiny!

Now her poops are more solid, they just roll off the nappy :haha: - makes it so easy! I prefer using cloth now at nearly 7 months than I did at the start!

Certainly not too late at 8 months. That's often a time when people need to buy a larger size anyway, and washing is really not a problem - maybe a couple of extra loads a week, but f you sposies have a habit of leaking, as they do on so many babies, you may not even have that, as you won't have nearly as many leaks and therefore full clothing/bedding changes, anyway!

If you want to try out some, to see what fits and works for you before you buy anything, then I can organize that for you, as will most nappy advisors. Oh and check out whether your council has an incentive scheme - you might get money back, free nappies or nappy vouchers.

Ooh thanks Littlepants. Our council has no scheme sadly :(
It would be great to be able to try some out - that's what finished me off last time. Ethan luckily gets no leaks from his sposies, but the brands of reusables I tried just didn't fit as well and they were selling for much less than I paid practically brand new so I just ran out of money and patience! I'll look into a trial for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->