• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too literal

alibaba24

Reaction score
My just turned 7 year old has some language comprehension issues. She does really well in school academically but it's been noted she can be quite literal. For example 1 day we forgot her homework and she explained this to the teacher so the teacher said "just hang onto your jotter just now " as in. Take it back home to do your homework. But she says my dd was still holding onto her jotter 10 mins later because she was told to hold it. . . I agree she can be literal but in that instance I probably would have done the same 😂. Is there any ways to help her with this. She is quite good at understanding saying a and phrases and using them in context but other times she's literal

I have only heard of this once before and it's with autistic kids. I'm not saying she is autistic but maybe youcan find some pointers in articles discussing autism

My son is very Literal, he does fantastic at school and is the 2nd highest in his year for literacy so there really isnt any problems with his comprehension but he is being assessed for ADHD and ASD. He also doesnt get sarcasm :(

Please don't take this in a bad way but just to be safe, have her checked. It's for you and your daughter's sake. Early signs can still be regulated. Sending some hugs to your lovely daughter!

she already has been under review since she was 4 years old for ASD. They won't diagnose her because she doesn't show enough signs. they believe she had some autistic traits because of language learning issues which can look very much like ASD

Based on your last post, it sounds like whether or not she has ASD, she has characteristics similar to ASD. So I would agree with the first response that you could probably find some good information if you search for resources aimed at kids with autism.

She had a salt assessment yesterday and when I asked about her being literal I was told that can be quite typical at this age. This is where they usually start picking up non literal meaning and sarcasm around 7-8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->