• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

too much milk...please help

smileyfaces

Reaction score
I'm on day 6 pp now. My milk came in on day 3 and settled quite quickly by day 4. On day 5 I was so engorged again and it won't go away.

Baby is feeding really well and getting plenty. Each feed time we are both ending up drenched as when he pulls away I'm just squirting milk everywhere. It is driving me mad and I need it sorting.

I'm very tempted to pump the whole lot out of my boobs but know this will cause them to fill up again anyway? What can I do????

I'm not sure there is much you can do to change your supply quickly, as your body is reacting to the hormones from birth. Feeding little and often (which is what most babies want) will hopefully stop you getting any blockages and your body will start to realise you only have one baby not twins and milk volume will start to adjust. In the next few days your LO is likely to have a growth spurt so may start drinking more of your milk leaving you less engorged between feeds.

In order to cope with the milk flow better, it can be useful to feed in a laid back position as:
1)milk has a harder time flowing upwards so "spraying" may be reduced
2)if milk isn't spraying in to his mouth, baby is less likely to unlatch in the middle of a letdown which will also decrease the spraying.

Other than that it is towels at the ready!

Everything noon-child said!! I always kept some sort of towel close by.. I had oversupply at that point but as she got older, it started to balance out a lot better. Pumping will make your produce more milk.. Once I started doing that, I kinda had to do it at the same time every day or I'd get engorged. If baby is not emptying the beast enough though.. You could squirt a little out after and see if it helps at all. It's definitely harder in the beginning but gets better!

Don't pump if you have an oversupply as that will just create more. Like mentioned you can try nursing in a laid back/side laying position to help slow yoir foow down a bit. And keep a towel handy so if baby pulls backs mid letdown you can hold the towel to the beast to prevent any messes. If you get engorged between feeds just hand express a bit to help with any discomfort.

Towels, towels, towels!! I feel you, I have always struggled with oversupply in the first month with all of my babies, it settles down and gets easier I promise, hang in there!

Feeding lying down helps as the baby has to work against gravity so it doesn't come out as fast. When I got a strong letdown I let it soak into a towel first as it was quite over powering for a newborn
Your supply will regulate though, it is just a bit crazy at first!

Try feeding baby reclined. Your milk supply will stabilize I promise! Don't pump or you will engorge yourself further. I was the same way and I use to tuck a receiving blanket under my boob because I would spray and drip everywhere and baby would choke on my let down. Now everything is great and has been since probably around 5-6 weeks... and even before that it was getting better. Hang in there!

I had an over sulpply too , poor baby gulped and we all got soaked !! It did settle after around 8 weeks until then plenty of muslin squares to hand !

Sounds very normal. Your body is still adjusting as its early days. My son always use to choke on my milk during let down and come off - resulting in milk going everywhere lol. Just have a muslin at hand and grab the milk x

Thanks all! Yes muslins are my best friend at the moment! I'm pleased to say I've noticed a big improvement today so hopefully I'm heading in the right direction :) boobs are much more "normal" (soft and less full) and less dripping and spraying when he pulls away from the boob (still happening but not as bad!).

Thanks all for the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->