Too much of a "boy" name for a baby girl?

Bella1185

Reaction score
DH and are I getting so much pressure from our moms to name our baby girl a "family name" (turns out "family" really just means their name, their middle name, what they were almost named etc etc) that we finally just decided that it won't be happening AT ALL for our LOs first name!

We found a nice combination of my moms and MILs names for a middle name, but are stuck in a rut for a first name. DH likes every name in the top 10 and since I grew up sharing one with many people (Kate) I'd like something a bit less popular. We finally tentatively agreed on Luciana, but as its a mouthful, thought maybe Luca for short. I really like it, but whenever I research it or ask people what they think, it always seems to be used for a boy.

Is Luca too weird for a little girl? I'd love some opinions! Only 20 weeks so have plenty of time to soak up suggestions!!

I dont think anything is weird now but personally if i saw Luca written down i would assume boy too - sorry. You could also shorten to Luci which is beautiful and although not unusual its not common anymore, at least not where i live.

xx

Luci or Lucia (pronounced lu-sha) would be short hand

luca is pretty much a boys name to most people

Although I initially think boys name when I hear Luca, the more I think about it I think it's ADORABLE for a baby girl :)

Can shorten it to Lucia, pronounced: Lu-chee-a maybe? Or maybe just simply Lucie as shorter... (I prefer Lucie myself) :flower:

Thank you so much ladies!!! Okay so Luca is definitely a male name...i grew up with a girl named Kyle and a boy named Ashley and neither were too fond of it, so perhaps I should rethink! But maybe Luca could be cute for her? Guess we will see when she's here :)

Wow for some reason I didn't even think of Lucia (pronounced Lu-sha or Lu-chee-a) as a nickname! Pregnancy brain I guess - but I LOVE those suggestions!!! Thank you very much!! That's a lot to work with - and will prevent our moms from going "family name" crazy! :hugs: THANK YOU!

Lucinda is also a similar name and not quite so much of a mouthful :) not very popular to my knowledge either

even though i think of it as a boys name i do know a girl (who goes to pre-school with my twins) called Luca and she is a very sweet girly girl and it suits her, it really does. i don't know if its short for anything but whenever i see her i can't imagine her being called anything else.

i think a child makes their name their own as they grow up. if you like it i say go for it, it didnt stop Jessica Simpson from calling her daughter Maxwell did it?

I lived in Italy for 17 years so to me Luca is definitely a male name. There is a little girl called Lucia in my dd's tumble class and her mum calls her Luc (Looch) for short. I love Lucy for short too though.

Maybe it's a regional thing but Luca sounds quite feminine to me. Most names ending in in an "a" I would relate to a girl. Either way I think it's a great name!

I agree that initially I would assume it was a boys name but I actually think its very cute as a girls name :thumbup:. I agree with pp that Lucia would be a good compromise if you was worried that it would be a bit too masculine :shrug:

To me, Luca is a boy's name. Which doesn't matter but I am really conscious of giving my children any name that could cause confusion (perhaps it's a teacher thing)! I love Lucia - I will have a little girl in my class next year called Lucia, and they pronounce it Loosha. I think it's really pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->