Toxic,stinky wee

cath

Reaction score
Is this normal? Recently, when I take C's night nappy off in the morning, it smells so strongly of ammonia that the fumes are making my eyes water. I'm having to do a mini strip wash every time I wash or everything stinks. She drinks plenty of water from her sippy cup(well she throws a lot of it around but I'm pretty sure some goes down) and she's also BF on demand too so I think she's getting enough fluids.

its normal for night nappies to smell a bit more strong in the morning, my toddlers one just made my eyes water, since they are fitteds i guess we could soak them in Napisan or something similar and that would help but i wouldnt soak anything with PUL

It could also be associated with teething, i find Alexs nappies smell so much more when hes teething.

I ws just going to say the same as AG, my LOs smell very strong when he is teething xx

Same here, Caine stinks some days! :sick: I think its down to teething x

yep, some mornings P's are enough to burn your eyes out. :lol:

Same with Emma's- I find it's not just teething, but also related to weaning. We never never had stinky morning nappies until she started on solids and I noticed that certain foods make for stinkier pee (spag bol being the worse so far). We started to rinse the morning pee nappies before putting them in the pail so that the ammonia smell wouldn't set in as badly.

I find that using wool or fleece instead of PUL wraps makes night nappies less stinky. Also make sure you unstuff them completely before putting them in the wash even if you don't normally bother, as it really helps to get rid of the smell.

yeah i need some wool or just a pattern so i can knit my own

Ah ok, she is teething at the mo so it could well be that. We use fitteds with a PUL wrap at the mo but I'm in the process of knitting some longies to try anyway as the PUL wraps are marking her legs. Lynnikins, the snapdragon soaker pattern is apparantly quite good & its free too, its next on my list of things to do https://blossomsandbits.blogspot.com/2009/02/snapdragon-soaker-now-free.html

Might also invest in some napisan as the washing is getting ridicuous-1 quick wash with 1/2 detergent, 1 prerinse then 60 degree with 1/2 detergent, then 2 or 3 rinses for each load or they come out stinking of wee..

yeah meagans the same. ive just started usind reusable a night and in the morning the nappy smells horrible! i think she is starting to teeth though so thats probebly why!

what is a strip wash?!

Wash your nappies with a full load of powder, then rinse and rinse and rinse until no bubbles. I use a bit of soda crystals too x

Or you can use a dishwasher tablet in the drum, and do an extra rinse (or two). That works for us :D I think if I used a full scoop of detergent, our water is so soft that I'd be rinsing for weeks :rofl:

I have never used a dishwasher tab. any good? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->