Train journey with toddler, am I insane?

vickyandchick

Mum of boys
Reaction score
On Monday I'm going to visit my parents; we'll be getting a virgin train from Euston and the journey is a little over 2 hours. DS is almost 14 months old and is a total whirlwind, he's up and running everywhere and stays occupied for about 5 minutes (like any normal toddler I guess)
Does anyone have any tips on how to help the journey go smoothly? Anyone brave enough and has attempted something similar?

I used to do a just over 2 hour train journey with 1 change with lo every couple of months from when he was around that age and apart from the once where he fell in on the morning it always went fine.

I always took plenty of snacks and the ipad and a few small toys I knew he liked, he was also quite happy to look out of the window! I kept him in his buggy most of the time at that age as it was easier to keep him sat down.

We have done loads of train trips, maybe not quite as long, usually like an hour? And we also took our daughter on a plane, which again was maybe an hour or so, but closer to 2 hours if you factor in sitting around on the ground. But I think it's definitely doable. Just pack really smartly. Bring a rucksack or something you can carry really easily without needing your hands. If you have a carrier or wrap rather than a pushchair, that also helps (or if you can avoid bringing a pushchair altogether). I found the hardest thing about train travel is struggling to get the pushchair in and out and then folding it up to stow away while keeping my kid from running off somewhere. It was much easier when we took a carrier or when I just carried her or made her walk (maybe not as easy with a younger one though). Then bring toys and snacks and some milk and anything else he enjoys. If you can plan it for naptime and then just lie him on you and have him sleep, that might be the easiest way to do it. But my daughter has always been really entertained by trains, loves to look out the window, will sit and read books with me, will spend time snacking, etc. It's really always been fine. If you can travel at a time it's not super busy and make sure you get a seat (with Virgin you can reserve, right?), then that's ideal too.

Although my little one was slightly older when we first went on a train I was really nervous about it. but it was fine. I found the staff really helpful. i took the pushchair and sat in the disabled bay as no one else needed it.I found rhe fact that we could get up and walk a bonus.like people have said take a tablet and charger, snacks and toys. My LO is now 3 and we have just cone back from going to london on the train. it wad 2.5 hours.now he's d enough to colour in we sat at a table.He made friends with the two business men sitting opposite by sharing his chocolate. have fun.

We took dd2 on a 5.5 hour plane journey at 18 months.

We took an iPad, preloaded it with games and snacks, a milk, books, a couple of new toys. And she was so good on the plane.

Best bet, is be as organised as possible for it with a backpack of tricks like we did. Chances are, he will love looking out of the window then sleep on your knee.

I've taken DD everywhere. We went on a 40 hour plane trip this time last year, just us two. We regularly take a 2-3 hour train to visit her grandparents, are doing a 14 hour scenic train trip for New Years. It's just not as bad as you think it will be. Take the ipad and some snacks. For a two hour trip I wouldn't even bother with the ipad. Walking up and down the train and reading books, eating lunch/dinner would be fine. Take the baby carrier and maybe your LO will even nap for most of it. It'll be just fine :)

Thanks all, you guys are the best.
I'm definitely taking my tula instead of the pram as my mum has one at hers and the train is around the time that he naps so that's a good thing.
Thank you for your ideas:flower:

Our LO's LOVE the train/tram.. haha. I hate public transport, it's too crowded... but they love watching the scenery/playing around.

Maybe take a gadget if they have one? Tablet? Drawing? x

I took my 2 on a 5hr train ride. Ds was 4 and DD was 2. It was fine. Lots of snacks. Didnt have a smart phone then lol or a pad but they liked eye spy x

I used to have to always travel every month a 3 hours journey to see my parents with a a baby then i got pregnant when daughter was 13 months so was travelling while pregnant and a toddler lol. hen i had to do it wth a toddler and a baby. Its hard work and i would male sure you reserve seats. Bring a ipad if you have one or bring colouring books

We didnt always get a table seat so be aware of that. To be honest i did it a few times and the train keeps them entertained x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->