travel to New zealand safe?

vids

Reaction score
this may be a dumb question, but I have a 2 week trip planned to New Zealand (Auckland, Waitomo, Rotorua, Queenstown, and Mount Cook) in december when I will be 16-18 weeks pregnant.

My inlaws are adamant that it is unsafe for me to travel during pregnancy.

Come on --- new zealand is not a 3rd world country, surely it is safe in terms of food/travel/illness?

What do you guys think?

Unless you have a complication arise before travel you should be fine. You just can't fly during third trimester. Actually, some airlines will require a doctors note if you try to fly during third trimester. Second tri, however, is the safest time to fly.

Always talk to your doctor/midwife about travel plans just to be on the safe side.

I can't see where you are flying from but you will need to walk around the plane about 1ce an hour to prevent any risk of blood clots.

New Zealand is a lovely place to holiday (maybe im being biased :) ) and yea food is just as safe as anywhere else and illness are unlikely unless you catch a normal flu or cold which you could catch anywhere in the world :)

Have a lovely holiday it truely is a beautiful country :)

LOL, unless you are planning to bungee jump, I would say New Zealand is in the top 5 safest countries you could travel to. Your inlaws are paranoid. I would love to know what they think is dangerous about it.

Ha, ironically, I'm an American living in Auckland at the moment and soon will be travelling back to the States and my sister had the same concern - until I explained to her that you can safely fly until up to your 7th month I believe. Some airlines even allow you to fly later than that if you have a doctor's note but it's not advised after that. So I think you should be fine :) I'm a bit concerned about it as well as my tailbone hurts so bad if I sit too long and as you may or may not know that's like 38+ hours of straight travelling with probably 32-35 of those actually on a plane so it's pretty intense. I think I'm going to buy a special pillow to sit on and bring some sort of foot stool since I can't cross my legs now :haha: Also going to carry as little as possible with me so I don't get fatigued.

If you are worried safety-wise about the country, there's very little to worry about. It is a developed country with a low crime rate compared to most cities in the States. The majority of the population lives in Auckland and even then it is a very safe city. I think the gangs here are cute compared to inner cities in the States. Tell your in-laws not to worry. Kiwis are very friendly people. Also, if you tell them that the entire population of New Zealand, every single person, can fit in New York City with room to spare, that might put things in perspective for them. America is 76 times the size of New Zealand population-wise (I looked it up lol) It's not a large place and there truly aren't that many people in it considering and it's just such a beautiful place that focuses a lot on appreciation for the outdoors, keeping the place green, adventure, food. It's good times :)

thanks everyone!
I live in california/US - so it is quite a bit a of a plane journey.

the in laws are concerned because they think flying time is too long, there are some road trips in between, they think roads may be too bumps..... i can't really understand that since i'm sure roads are in great condition

thanks everyone!

the in laws are concerned because they think flying time is too long, there are some road trips in between, they think roads may be too bumps..... i can't really understand that since i'm sure roads are in great condition
You're going to major tourist spots, the roads are fine. New Zealand isn't Fiji, haha.

It would be a good idea to get those travel socks as pregnant women are more prone to blood clots, according to my doctor. Do your ankle exercises and stay hydrated on the flight. It would be worth checking with your health care provider first though. Have fun! NZ is supposed to be lovely!

thanks everyone!

I'm actually going to be flying about 15 hours longer than you will be total since I'm coming from Auckland and then going to the East Coast of the States, so I land in LA or San Fran and then still have to go all the way across the country, usually two more plane flights. My midwife says it is okay to do. Probably best thing would be to get your doctor to write you a note saying you are fit to fly, and also go online and look at your airlines policies for pregnant women flying. I did yesterday for myself and they say that so long as you have an uncomplicated pregnancy, you can fly up to 31 or 33 weeks or something, and if you do have a complicated pregnancy, you just need a special doctor's clearance note. There are certain things you are encouraged to do, like get up and walk around for 3 to 4 minutes every hour, and wear compression socks to help get the circulation from your legs back up to the rest of your body continuously, and put up your feet as often as possible. I'm actually looking for collapsable foot rests and if I can't find them, I'm going to just buy some of those collapsable storage boxes for a foot rest and put a pillow on top of it. I can't cross my legs now at almost 12 weeks so I can't imagine what it will be like in a few weeks when I fly lol, but I can imagine it being very uncomfortable if I don't have a foot rest! But yes, just chat with your doctor and midwife, get a note from one or both of them, show your in-laws, etc. There's no evidence to show that being in a pressurized cabin in any way harms the baby, and the only thing that is not recommended is being in a very small, not pressurized cabin because at high altitudes the air is thinner and you don't get as much oxygen to you and your baby, but even if you are on one of those planes for a short cross over to somewhere domestically, usually they'll only use those planes for trips about an hour or under so that's not even too much of a worry. So try not to worry! The journey will be fine and as long as your doctor agrees you can show your in-laws, they'll be happy, you'll get here and have a great holiday, etc.

I am in NZ right now, on the last night of our two week holiday. VERY safe. Food is fantastic here. We did south Island so Christchurch, Lake Pukaki, Arrowtown, Queenstown, Dunedin and now back in Christchurch - GO!

I live in NZ too, and it is safe here. The roads are fine, provided you stick to main roads, the food is fine (as long as you're sensible) and the maternity care is excellent.
I have good reason to know we are world leaders in neonatal care :)

Have a wonderful time. We're actually a really blessed country, there are so many beautiful and amazing sites in such a small place x

hey ya..i live in nz and yes it is safe!

You'll be ok. Just drink bottled water. I went to majorca when i was 12 weeks pregnant and just said to drink bottled water x

You'll be ok. Just drink bottled water. I went to majorca when i was 12 weeks pregnant and just said to drink bottled water x

New Zealand is a First World country, the tap water is probably better than in the UK or US. It is 100 percent safe to drink, you certainly do not need to buy bottled water.

New Zealand is a First World country, the tap water is probably better than in the UK or US. It is 100 percent safe to drink, you certainly do not need to buy bottled water.

Well even better then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->