travelling with LO without his dad

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
do you know if you need a permission/consent/legal document to take LO out of the UK without his dad? (we are married and his name is LO's birth certificate and LO has his surname). we'll be away for 3 days in Spain

thanks!

We certainly need them for travel between the States and Canada, and even if it does cost a bit (they need to be notarized to mean anything), it can save you a world of hassle. Check customs websites - call if you have to! - and find out for sure. The customs websites here are really detailed. I knew exactly what I needed. Hopefully you have something comparable to advise you! :)

I'd imagine so. I've traveled alone with my lo but never been asked to show that I've been given permission even though she holds a German passport and I don't (mines British). My oh has no rights to her anyway as we are not married and I haven't given him rights (yet). She has my surname though and I'm surprised despite him not having rights why I haven't been asked to prove it. I do take all my documents with me (my birth certificate and hers andproof I live in Germany) but never been asked and I've traveled several times alone.

I did look into it and was told a letter witnessed by a solicitor would be sufficient but I could be very much wrong. I'm sure if you Google what documents you need you'll find it.

No I never have and have traveled a lot without OH, that said his dad doesn't actually have any rights to him as we're not married, but my mum has traveled with him alone as well and never needed anything.

I don't think it's a necessity, but a signed letter from him doesn't hurt. I did that last year when DS and I flew to Canada before him as my passport is still in my maiden name. They never even questioned it.

Alot of people on here seem to say yes but personally I have never had any problems what so ever I've travelled alot with LO both inside and outside of Europe I've even travelled with 2 children with different surnames and still no problems. If your concerned though it wouldn't hurt to take along a birth certificate or something. X

Thanks everyone!
I appreciate that some of you said yes, but at least one of you is fron the USA, where I know for a fact you have to have consent (same as my home country). I could and will take a birth certificate but still that only proves that he is my son, but I could still be 'kidnapping' him.
I wonder if that depends on the country you are travelling to or from? :shrug:

I understand your worries but I'm sure a passport will suffice. And just for reassurance, maybe take his birth cert. Surrly it is very unreasonable to expect that a child can only leave the country with both parents present?? Well I think so anyway!

Let us know how u get on, would be useful for a lot of us to know x

I recently flew from Scotland to Ireland with just myself and Niamh and although I didn't need to produce a letter they did ask me why we had different names and ask my relationship to her. They also asked if anyone could confirm she was my daughter etc.

He laughed and said 'sorry, standard procedure' when I joked about how much myself and her look alike but I could tell he was watching the relationship between us 2.

After a minute or so of questions they let me through, no bother, but it may be different going else where.

ETA: I should point out that the reason we were noticed in the first place is that Niamh is 9 weeks old in her passport photo... She's now almost 4. There's obviously been a bit of a change since then!

My sister has travelled extensively with her son, who has a different surname from her and as far as I know has never been challenged.

As he doesn't have your surname then I would take his birth certificate to be on the safe side. I was asked for Maria's birth certificate by British border patrol when I flew with her because she doesn't have my surname (she doesn't have a birth certificate though but thankfully they let us through in the end!)

It sounds like they may be more stringent about this in USA and Canada? Everyone I know does this if they will be travelling wihout one spoouse or the other. It is not worth the hassle if they ask and you don't have the letter, and sadly, it is a policy that reflects the fact that the vast majority of kidnappings are committed by a parent. :(

It sounds like they may be more stringent about this in USA and Canada? Everyone I know does this if they will be travelling wihout one spoouse or the other. It is not worth the hassle if they ask and you don't have the letter, and sadly, it is a policy that reflects the fact that the vast majority of kidnappings are committed by a parent. :(

absolutely! I know for sure you wouldn't think of travelling without a letter of consent anywhere in North or South America.

I understand your worries but I'm sure a passport will suffice. And just for reassurance, maybe take his birth cert. Surrly it is very unreasonable to expect that a child can only leave the country with both parents present?? Well I think so anyway!

Let us know how u get on, would be useful for a lot of us to know x

Sure I will let you know!

I think some of you are missing my point, I must be explaining myself badly, sorry! taking his passport and a birth certificate only proves I am his mother, but I could still be kidnapping him. Kidnapping meaning I took him away without his father's consent, as Sarahkka said. Of course you are not expected to always travel with your DH/OH, but in countries where there are more regulations about this sort of thing if you travel alone you have to have a letter of consent from the other parent.

I always carry a letter of consent from Maria's dad now as well but I wouldn't if we hadn't split up.

I went on holiday to Vancouver with my LO when she was a baby without OH and we weren't questioned at all either way!

Seems like you do need permission. Strange I have never known of any of my friends or family who have travelled with their child to have needed it :shrug:

Seems like you do need permission. Strange I have never known of any of my friends or family who have travelled with their child to have needed it :shrug:

From what I understand if it's less than 28 days you're good to go?

I used to go on holiday with my brother, mum and step dad growing up and all 4 of us have different surnames and were never questioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->