treatments for PTSD

isil

Reaction score
has anyone been treated for post traumatic stress disorder? If so, what treatment did you have?

I swear the mental health team here work on commission. The psychiatrist pushes CBT and the nurse from the community team is pushing this therapeutic community thing. I just want someone to talk to :shrug:

While CBT can be very helpful, I don't really get how it would be especially effective in regards to PTSD. But perhaps the program is run a diff way for those cases?

Have you told your psychiatrist that you just need somebody to talk and listen? Psychiatrists are often the ones who prescribe the medication and talk about programs for therapy. Some psychiatrists act like counselors, but not all. Could you perhaps ask your psychiatrist about reccommending a therapist who specializes in PTSD?

im waiting to start it now! ive had mixed messages some say cbt some say other treatments! sorry im no help ill know more after my next appionment! x

CBT for PTSD is effective if it is trauma-focussed. There is a lot of evidence that it works.

The community 'thing' will help support you whilst undertaking trauma-focussed CBT. Who would be delivering the CBT? The psychiatrist?

Where do you live?

The psychiatrist (who seems like she's on commission) was from the crisis team. I don't know who'd be delivering it, I guess I'd be referred and assessed (fabulous, more assessments!) by psychology first.

I keep saying I just need someone to talk to - although it was aimed that I'd start doing psychotherapy (some group/individual work) I just had regular contact with my care coordinator who was a CPN. Here, they don't want to even give a female care coordinator because they say me not wanting a male is an issue I need to work on but the nature of the PTSD means I find it much easier talking to a woman. But potential care coordinator has said that I wouldn't be 'talking' to him like that. But if he's supposed to be helping me deal with negative coping strategies sometimes past things are going to come up, surely? and I don't want to feel like I have to censor myself. I've come a long way since I started seeing my previous CC/CPN in terms of being able to trust and talk. Here, they have a meeting about me next week that I haven't even been invited to! it's rubbish.

I come under the pennine care nhs, kind of stockport.

i've been treated for it..
and they tried everything, i saw a psycologist, i did CBT, i found talking really difficult, i saw a nurse, i was admitted to hospital..
i had CBT because i was afraid to do certain things and there was certain things causing my body to relive the trauma - so they helped kinda overcome that?

i saw the phsycologist a few times, but couldn't deal with it and it was making me more depressed..
i was put on medication - sertraline which they start at a low dose and uped and uped.. and i ended up on quite a high dose.. but it really helped..
in the end i ran away from it all, i felt like i was scratching the wounds and making them worse - whether or not it was right i'm not sure..
i'd deffiantly say that talking to someone initially helped.. and i felt like i had a sense of support..
xxxxxxx

Hi isil

I think that if you feel ready to talk and trusting then CBT might be the right kind of therapy for you. You should ask directly to be referred to clinical psychology for trauma-focused CBT.

This treatment does require you to talk about the traumatic event(s) as the theory behind it is that when something traumatic happens, your mind cannot piece it together properly and therefore you cannot regulate your emotions, leading to distressful feelings of fear, guilt, sadness, anger etc.

I am assuming that you are on medication as you are under the care of a psychiatrist.

When your care coordinator says that he won't be talking to you 'like that', I think what he is trying to say is that he is not trained or qualified. Essentially, talking about the traumatic event should be done in a contained environment with a psychologist or someone properly trained. But you are right, the past does come up.

If you are ready to talk, I would suggest asking for a referral. I hope it is successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->