Tried and true methods of increasing milk supply?

L

Laschai

Note: I'm not a mom, I'm curious for the future.
My mom said she had to give me some formula as a baby because she couldn't make enough milk. I want my future children to have just breastmilk, no formula, but I can't do that if I don't have enough milk. So, what are some methods you gals have used to increase milk supply that have worked for you?

It really is very rare to have a medical condition that means with a correctly attached baby, fed on demand, you still don't have enough milk.

However undiagnosed tongue or lip tie, can cause such poor latch that baby struggles to feed and the breast is not stimulated enough to increase milk supply as the baby grows. Some babies have ties and it doesn't affect feeding at all but very painful latching with damaged nipples needs sorting ASAP.

Getting a good latch can be difficult and the resulting 'unsatisfied' baby can make you think that there isn't enough milk, but really if you get the latch right you can trust that your body WILL produce milk. (If you were one of the very few - and it is a tiny number - who had a medical reason that milk wasn't being produced sufficiently, then a medical professional would spot it as baby's weight and alertness will be monitored). Anything that interferes with a babies sucking on the breast can reduce milk supply (pacifiers, spacing out feeds, feeding formula instead of putting baby to breast).

Educate yourself on what is 'normal' behaviour:
Cluster feeds
Growth spurts
Frequent feeds
Poo colour changes
and watch some you tube videos of correctly feeding babies so you can see what the nose to nipple/wide gape looks like.

When we've not been surrounded by women breastfeeding it really is so difficult for us to relax in to trusting that what is happening is 'normal', 'natural' and 'working'. So check out local support groups where you can see/meet other Mum's who are breastfeeding and also find out where your nearest Lactation Support will come from.

I hope you won't need this support and it will all work out for you (I have met many women for whom bf just clicked but I myself had a lot of latch issues at first) but it is best to find it all now so that when you are feeling a bit hormonal and stressed out with a newborn you aren't also struggling to get the correct information.

There isn't a food that will magically give you milk if your baby isn't stimulating the breast by sucking but there are a few things that can help your body make milk more easily.
Stay hydrated
Eat things like porridge (good mix of fat, carb and protein)

There are supplements that people swear by, but OVER supply of milk can cause as many problems as under supply so I wouldn't advise taking any unless you know there is a problem. Over supply is very common in the early weeks (after your milk has come in) so you don't need to add to that.

Person above pretty much said it all. From my own experience, the best thing you can do is feed on demand and don't give pacifier for the first 6 weeks (granted, you might struggle for baby to take it after that but your supply will be well established by then so it's not a bad trade off).

With my first I struggled to BF due to her having jaundice and bad advice I got on feeding by schedule, giving pacifier from birth, not feeding at night. I struggled for almost 6 weeks but once I read more on this site and ditched all that advice and started to breastfeed on demand my supply was fine and I breastfed for 16 months.

With my second one, I right away did what I learned last time and did not give pacifier till he was almost 6 weeks and fed on demand - no issues with BF at all. The only thing is that he hates pacifier and most of the time I can't get him to take it, he only wants my boobs haha.

Also, don't panic about first 2 days - your boobs will feel dry and people might start telling you to feed baby with formula. Don't give up. By day 3 if you keep nursing on demand milk will come in. First 2 days my son nursed non stop literary - with maybe 30 minute breaks here and there. I was really exhausted but milk came in by end of day 2 and he started nursing every 2 hrs or so except in evenings when he cluster fed when he was few weeks younger.

oh, also stay hydrated
Good luck :)

The previous posters have already said it all really but I just wanted to second what they've told you.

During the first few weeks and during growth spurts, a baby will behave as though they are ravenous which leads a lot of mums (and sadly a lot of midwives/health visitors too) to believe that they're not producing enough milk. The reality is that the baby is just doing what he has to do to increase your supply so you can continue to satisfy him as he grows. Its all about supply and demand. The more he feeds, the more milk you'll produce so when you start supplementing with formula you're actually telling your body that you don't need to increase your supply and thats how you end up with a low supply.

There are of course some mums who genuinely do have a low supply but I'd say that the most common cause is the situation I've described above (or a poor latch)

The best way to increase milk supply is to always feed on demand and not supplement in between.

I also wanted to add that if you have people around you who aren't used to breastfeeding, you may start to get comments (well meaning but confidence destroying) like "Is he hungry again!?!", "He's never satisfied", "Are you sure he's getting enough", "If he took a bottle I could help more", "Is it normal to feed so often?".

Arm yourself with a few key responses
"Yes. His tummy is so small at the moment but it won't last forever!"
"He's just telling my body he wants me to make more than I did yesterday!"
"Have you seen his nappies? He's definitely drinking!"
"Oh I'd really appreciate it if you want to help out. Can you get me a drink/Burp him after I'm done/Warm his cot sheet up for me etc. etc"
"It is normal. He gets so much more than just food from it you see. A special Mummy cuddle with familiar smells, a comforting suck if he's in any discomfort, food and a drink, and maybe even a hormone that helps send him to sleep, so I can see why he'd want to do this all the time".

These should help reassure YOU and anyone around you that all is under control!

Some excellent advice here!

Get the latch right or it will be painful for months. My child never got the latch totally right and still now at almost two I can sometimes see her hanging off the end of the nipple (it hurts). Persevere through the first days/weeks when you are both learning how to get the latch right, it's worth it. Don't let anyone dent your confidence by (often well-meaning) comments mentioned above, or by people trying to stop you feeding in public. Eat well, drink gallons of water. Have a drink always at hand, especially while feeding. Have food at hand, too. Bedsharing helped me a lot. Don't keep formula in the house 'just in case'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->