Trying for first at 37

GFgirl

Reaction score
My husband and I are trying for our first child together. He has a 9 year old already. We have been trying steadily for the past 5 months with OPK. I have an appointment next Monday with my OBGYN to bring her the results of the OPK.

I guess I am worried that we will start testing and find out I can't have children. My Mom had a hard time getting pregnant, but then she had 3 sucessful pregnancies from 29 till 36.

Can anyone tell me about the first step in checking fertility?

Hello, am new too so can't answer your questions but jsut wanted to say hello. Am trying to concieve first at aged 41, only been trying a couple of months so its early days for us and we'll give it a few more months naturally before looking at other options.

Fingers crossed for us both and all others here too :flower:

:dust:

heys guys - me too aged 37 (just) and TTC #1. We have been trying for 10 months now - should know in a couple of days whether it'll be 11 months!
But i have been told by my dr in the uk that i cannot go back to him until we have been trying for 1yr...
So this month i have tried conceieve plus, OPK (but used these almost every month to keep track of what my body is doing as per my dr's suggestion).

Good luck and enjoy the fun with your other halves!!!!

Thanks for the hello all! I hope we all have good news soon! I will say a prayer for you two!

Hello beautiful ladies,

I am new to this! Here is a brief summary of myself. I am 37 Canadian girl and been trying for a little over a year and a half.

I am just starting on temping and have been using ovulation kits for a while now.

I am on a regular 28 day cycle (give or take a day or two) and even ovulate regularly.

Really thought this was the month I would get my :bfp: and to no avail received my AF a few days ago :cry:

Had a laparoscopy in March and husband has a low sperm count. He takes Vitamin C and hoping it will help.

I am due to start Gonal F next cycle (hopefully won't need it).

I am trying to stay positive....

Good luck to all TTC,

Take care,

Hello ladies!! I'm starting a new plan of attack this month, here's my thread I just posted about it https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-conceive-over-35/1017683-smep-anyone-want-join-me.html maybe we could all try together!

Hi GFGirl. You asked about the first steps in checking fertility. Many Canadian doctors will begin infertility workups for women over 35 who've been TTC 6 months or more (as opposed to the standard one year for women under 35). My husband and I started TTC in late 2010, and after about 8 months of unsuccessful TTC, we had the standard tests. For women, this would include checking:

-estradiol (the most prominent circulating estrogen)

-follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) on day 3 of your cycle - this is done to assess egg reserve (important for 'older' women) and to assess whether there are any menstrual or ovarian irregularities that may be impeding conception (e.g., PCOS). FSH tests can help determine if a woman is ovulating.

-progesterone on day 21 of your cycle - assesses whether ovulation occurs, and can help assess whether there is progesterone insufficiency during luteal phase that may impede conception. (note: this assumes a 28-day cycle or thereabouts, which is not the case for all women, so some doctors will order tests for additional days during the post-ovulation phase).

-Many doctors will also order tests for blood serum testosterone, prolactin, etc., which can also interfere with conception. High levels of testosterone in women, for example, can be indicative of PCOS (but not always).

-Along with these blood tests, many doctors will also order ultrasounds to inspect a woman's uterus and ovaries. This can help determine, for example, how follicles are developing, whether a woman has PCOS, whether the uterus is of normal structure, and the like.

At the same time as women will undergo blood tests described above and possibly an ultrasound, her OH will have a semen analysis to check on his sperm count, motility (how many can swim), and morphology (how many are normal shape).

all great info, thanks! *waves from Montreal*

I also tried for my first at 37. after 6 months I had booked the fertility appointment, met the doctor, left with all the paperwork, then waited for my period.. and waited.. got frustrated... turns out I was pregnant :haha:

Now started ttc for number 2 at 39... this is month 6, juuust hit the big 40 *gulp* but I`m staying positive. Just now starting the myriad of tests. I was secretly hoping I`d have the same luck (already be preggers when going to the clinic) but oh well :flower:

Hi there

Only other thing to add to that is that in addition to FSH they may test your AMH too, both tests of ovarian reserve. That can also be confirmed with a vaginal ultrasound where they will do an astral follicle count.

Before doing something like IUI (which still relies on fertilisation in the fallopian tubes), they want to test the tubes with a procedure called hycosys. Mine wasn't painful at all and it involves inserting a catheter and watching dye pas through the whole system. For people who go straight to IVF, this doesn't need to be done (as for IVF fertilisation is obviously not in the body).

GFgirl, if you're in the UK happy to give you lots more info about the process/system here if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->