Trying to convert...

I

imaceful

Ok... I need help!

I'm having a boy in March, and trying to convert my husband to cloth nappies! Can anyone give me a list of what I' might need to buy for a newborn? I know a lot is trial and error, and I'll prefer some over others etc but a basic guide would be great!

I've used AIOs before and really liked them. I'm not massively keen on terry cloths and wraps. I don't mind buying sized ones.

Extras as well. I vaguely remember needing a wet bag and nappy pale etx but it's been so many years!

I just used tots bots birth to potty from birth (she was 7lb) and they have worked really well for us especially for my husband who really wasn't sure about them!

My lo was born in September, early and smaller than I had planned. Thankfully my mom added some Thirsties size one covers to my stash of mostly one size. Those and the Softbums and bumkins I got have been the best fit during this time and I really like them. I have bamboo Thirsties and Softbums inserts. My stash includes mostly bamboo and hemp inserts and flats for the greater absorbency. My son is just now starting to fit the rest of my stash so I am still figuring out how well the other brands I have work. Best Bottoms has great prints but are less trim. They work great with the hemp inserts. The BB Cloth, bumgenius AIO, flip and Alva pocket diapers are also bulky for his current size but I expect him to grow into them, they do work fine. My Grovia AIO I have only used once, the snaps are different. I haven't used my, fuzzibunz, Kawaii, Nicki's, bumgenius pocket or rumparooz yet. I got a lot of different kinds to try and I admittedly picked most of them bc I liked the print or color. I just rec'd a Bumkins one fish two fish red fish blue fish wet bag as a gift so I might be adding the matching diaper to my stash since I like my lorax Bumkins.
Some might think I decided to try out too many brands but I like choices and I needed at least 12 changes per day.

I don't know your circumstances, but I stay at home and my husband works. I told him when I got pregnant I would be using cloth and that he doesn't have to change any diapers if I got my way. He is squeamish and I wanted cloth so we both win.

Depending on how often you want to do laundry, you should plan on having enough for 12 changes per day. What you specifically need depends on if you are using AIO's, covers, pockets or AI2. I like the inserts and covers bc they are simple, covers are reusable and inserts can be used to increase absorbency in any diaper. I don't have a problem with my pocket diapers but of you are squeamish about unstuffing them I would avoid pockets. Flats and prefolds can be pad folded for covers or pockets.

Other stuff... I use a wet bag, no pail. Wipes if you don't plan on disposables. Cloth diaper safe cream or liners for when you need cream.
Diaper sprayer is optional.

Most of my diapers were ordered online and the retailers often have checklists. Kelly's Closet included a free diaper with a minimum purchase. Nikki's Diapers included free baby legs. Different retailers carry different brands/prints. Babycenter has an informative cloth diaper group.

Mostly, have fun!

I also use covers, much much easier and cheaper.

Here's what you can get away with if you wash once per week:
Covers x 20
Inserts x 70

I use cloth wipes I made but I use disposables if its messy. I know I shouldn't but I got lazy. I have a spray for my wipes (just vinegar, water, and baby soap, in a spray bottle).

I have a diaper pail, its just a garbage can with a plastic garbage bag.

I don't bother with a cloth diaper cream. I cut strips of wicking material and lay that on the insert when I use the diaper cream.

This would be the most cost effective method and works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->