Trying to understand my friend

erikab922

Reaction score
Hello ladies, I'm a Baby Clubber but need some help from those of you with older children.

A very dear friend of mine has two children, a girl aged 9 and a boy nearly 5. The whole family sleeps in the same bed and she was able to watch the children full-time before they started school (not a judgment on the sleeping bit, it's just for background info).

Neither of her kids have spent any time apart from her, except the daughter when she started school. I don't think I've ever seen her son in a different room from her in the years that I've known her. This would do my head in (I have a 4 and a half month old) but it's her family and this is what they do and that's fine with me.

Last year he was meant to start his 15 hours a week of nursery, but that lasted for all of a week when she decided it was too difficult being away from him, so she decided to volunteer at the school but it was too hard seeing him with someone else, so she eventually just kept him at home. I was really hoping that giving him a chance to be at nursery would pave the way for when he entered reception because I knew she'd be a wreck.

Well, here we are, his first day of reception and my friend is inconsolable. I know it won't last forever but it was always going to happen and I don't know what to do/say. I work from home while watching my baby (ugh, I know) and she was meant to stop by on her way home from dropping him off at school. We live three doors away from one another with the school at the end of the street and she passes my door on the way back. She was too distraught to even stop by, so I know she's at home now absolutely beside herself and there's nothing I can do.

I don't know what I'm asking for, really, just wanted to see if this is totally normal, other mothers who have felt the same way, etc.

My eldest starts school thursday..but i know i wont be acting like that!

IMO she has not done her son or herself any favours by not letting him go to nursery..just imagine what a big change he will be going through..poor kid!
Watching his mother in a total state is just going to make him insecure and make matters worse for him.
IMVHO i think this woman needs to get a grip for her sons sake and encourage him and help him make his school life a happy experience...he is going to be so insecure and scared to leave his mom in such a state if she doesnt pull herself together..she isnt the only mother feeling like her baby is growing up...

I think she will get through it. TBH, you sound a bit judgemental. I coslept wih all my kids and my son never went to preschool...I also breastfed until 2 and stayed home to raise him...he never had a sitter. Now he is 9. He excels at schools, sports, has tons of friends, goes to school and never has gotten into trouble...he now starts afterschool care tomorrow too, and is excited. He has sleepovers with friends...can go for days. Yes...it is still hard on ME. A real friend will support and be there. Perhaps she can sense your 'told-you-so' judgement...its drenched in this post.

I think she will get through it. TBH, you sound a bit judgemental. I coslept wih all my kids and my son never went to preschool...I also breastfed until 2 and stayed home to raise him...he never had a sitter. Now he is 9. He excels at schools, sports, has tons of friends, goes to school and never has gotten into trouble...he now starts afterschool care tomorrow too, and is excited. He has sleepovers with friends...can go for days. Yes...it is still hard on ME. A real friend will support and be there. Perhaps she can sense your 'told-you-so' judgement...its drenched in this post.

I agree with ^^^

I think she is massively over reacting to a child starting school. its not a huge surprise fgs and she will have known for years it was going to happen

i would say she clearly has some issues of her own that she needs to face up to instead of hiding behind her son

placing everything onto tne kids and having nothing for herself is totally unhealthy as she is now displaying such a massive problwm.with something which isnt that big a deal

i dont think its about him missing her and he wi more than likely be fine and flourish but she needs to wotk out her issues with why such a deep attachment i. the first place

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->