Tucking sheets and blankets in: don't they just come undone?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
Hey, it's the day of questions from me, ha ha! So we have a mose's basket with fitted sheets for mattress, then flat sheets and cellular blankets for over baby. I'd like to use a 'grobag' when she's big enough but planning to use what I've got until then. I looked into swaddling but a few friends said it's a bit much in summer.

The main advice is to really make sure baby is tucked in. So do I just slip flat sheet and blanket (if she needs it) under the mattress? Surely it'll untuck though? Also, if it's warm, and baby needs just one layer, do I use the flat sheet or the cellular blanket as that one layer?

Ha, can you tell I'm starting to panic now with 5 weeks to go ;-)

They might come undone (we've never done this with our daughter), but you generally aren't recommended to use a flat sheet with a newborn as it's not breathable. A blanket should be fine. It was all we ever used and our baby was born in February. The best and safest thing is just to dress them warm enough to not need much in the way of blankets so that you don't have to even worry about keeping them in the right place. In our house in the winter (which is not very warm), a bodysuit and sleepsuit was often enough, especially because you'll be holding your baby most of the time during the day anyway as little babies don't sleep well on their own yet, so she'll get warmth from your body heat as well.

Thanks, this is useful. So the flatsheets might have been a waste of money? And when you say bodysuit and sleepsuit - you mean both together?

Glad you've posted this, I've been wondering the same thing myself! x

I didn't use flat sheets I used either a cellular blanket (folded if needed an extra layer) or a fleece one. I didn't really bother tucking it in either I was super paranoid about him wriggling under and then getting stuck so all I did was sort of tuck it under his body as a posed to under the mattress..

You will find especially in summer a cellular is all you will need. They only need the room to be 16-19degreese (which to me always seems too cold :/) so they don't need bundling up at night too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->