Turning transverse babies

Leo_Mumma

Reaction score
My little boy has been transverse since 12 weeks (super lazy lol) and now at 32 weeks my midwife is saying they want to try and turn him. I'm really worried about the risks associated with the cord and placenta and I'm not sure if a C-section would be kinder for baby. I just don't know.

Has anyone had this done? Was it successful? I've been told there's quite a poor success rate for transverse babies and the womb has grown in that shape. I don't want to upset him in there either. Did you have a C-section in the end?

My son was transverse all the way up to 36 weeks. He moved head down on his own by week 38. He was actually born in the ideal position. Nobody even mentioned moving him to me.

I had my 32 week appointment today and I told my midwife that I thought this baby was transverse and she said she was not concerned about it. She said they only start examining it closer if the baby is still transverse after 36 weeks, but it is very possible for babies to move in all sorts of different directions from this time on. She even said she has seen a baby go from breech at 36 weeks to head down at 39 weeks.

For me, this is from two different providers in two completely different pregnancies that they were not at all worried about a transverse baby at 32 weeks. So, I find it odd that they want to move your baby. How would they actually go about moving him?

I'm hoping that he'll turn himself too. I was under the impression he had plenty of time but I think she's worried as he's always been transverse.

She didn't tell me exactly how they do it but I know i'll need a jab to relax my uterus or an epidural. Neither of these I want really.

I doubt they would allow you to deliver vaginally if he stays transverse as it's really high risk for complications, much more than a breech presentation. However only 2% of babies are transverse at term so I would say the chances are really good that he will turn. My friend had a C Section with her first because of a transverse lie, so I know a bit about it. I think they admitted her about a week before her due date to monitor her. In the end she declined the option to have her baby turned but she was offered, but not until much further on than you. It seems really early for your mw to be worrying just yet but I'm no expert. Fingers crossed he shifts for you soon!

I've seen the spinning babies website recommended on here a lot, maybe have a look on there for ways to encourage him to be head down. He's still likely to shift though.

My baby was transverse until last week, then she turned on her own. I would leave it a bit longer before trying to turn him manually because of the risks associated with it. A lot of babies do turn on their own, and do turn on their own after 32 weeks too:flower:

Mine is also transverse and I can feel his head on the right side and his feet on my left. I was going to bring it up again at my 30 week appointment this week. I've also been looking up more info on it and even saw some videos of them re-positioning the baby. I'm just hoping he will flip on his own!

Spinning babies has great, natural suggestions. Some other suggestions are to squat instead of sitting (lean with your arms on the couch or chair behind you), sit with your feet together instead of leaning back and feet on the floor in front of you and lastly bouncing on an exercise ball/birthing ball.
Like someone mentioned, my doctor told me last week at 30 weeks that 25% of babies haven't turned at that point but it's only 2% 40 weeks. So still good chance baby will turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->