twins started kindy. having issues.. i dont think i can handle this

twin mum 27

Reaction score
Hi all.
My 4.5yo twin boys started kindy this year in Western Australia which is 5 days a fortnight.

They both loved it initially as they had half days to help them adjust. As soon as the full days (6.5hrs) came, one of them hates going.
Twin B Will cry in the morning when i tell him its a school day. He will refuse to walk into the class and then he will cling to me for dear life and refuse to let me read him a story or play a puzzle.
Twin A Is much better but does occasionally cry when he sees his brother upset. They went to a 2 day a week preschool last year. We never had any issues.. but then again the days were shorter.. i literally leave while his teacher holds him back from me. I get out the door and then i cry to myself..

To make matters worse, the teacher is adament on seperating them. For example today, when they go into class they have to practice their name and numbera by tracing. So they find their name and do it. Today she had placed their names on different tables..
Luckily my DH was with me so he sat with Twin A while I attempted to interact and settle twin B (unsuccessfully).

So next week when im on my own i will have the two kids.. on different tables.. one probably hysterical.. how does she expect me to manage this?

I see her point in trying to get them to be less dependant on each other, but its the 3rd week for Christ's sake. I dont know why she is pushing it so much!

So my questions are, how should i bring this up with the teacher?

And does anyone have any suggestions on how to help twin B settle better in class? Have u experienced this?

I should add that i suffer from a heart condition which makes standing very challenging, and i am also 35+2 pregnant.. i dont know how much longer i can do this :(

what are the teachers doing? sometimes lo cries but as soon as she is picked up by her teacher she stops.

My LO was so attached to me when started nursery at 20 months (I hate myself that I had to send her that small) but she would be in my arms my I would pass her to her key worker in her arms md they would then wave me goodbye.

That would help us to seperate.

The thing about separating them... Think it's a bad idea. They already having to face a new situation so why add to it when there's no need? Id say talk to the teacher an the separating thing can wait for later if it's really required.

As a teacher myself I think you should tell her you'd like the twins to be together while they both settle in. I'd have no issue with this request at all. I believe they will naturally separate and find their own friends soon enough :flower:

Could you go in and move their name tags so they are next to one another? If/when the teacher comments I'd say I want them together while they settle.

How are they once you have left? My eldest went through quite a long phase of crying and clinging to me when I dropped him off, but by the time I collected him at the end of the day he didn’t want to come home!

Thanks everyone. I spoke with their teacher and she had agreed to stop forcing them to seperate.
She admitted she has never dealt with twins before so doesnt really know what she is doing lol

Once i have left i believe it takes him 10-15 minutes to calm down but then he is ok. When i pick them up he is all smiles and tells me about his day.

He also says he wants to go, is excited etc. Until the time to actually go come.. like right now he is asking when is it school and im saying tomorrow morning.. he aays he cant wait.. but come tomorrow morning ill be dragging him im sure lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->