Uk holiday vs Holiday abroad

Mummy May

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
What are your opinions? I know they would probably end up costing about the same by the place I would like in the UK and self catering/ activities etc BUT would you choose UK or abroad - this is for our faily holiday next year and we can't decide :) p.s - I don't wanna feel like I'm missing out!

For me always abroad.

Uk doesn't feel like a holiday, just feels like a break.

But then I have a sister who lives in Tenerife so I get super cheap flights and go 2/3 times a year. I've never had a year since I was born that I didn't go abroad, it would be awful lol I'd feel like I was seriously missing out!

Abroad! I go away in the uk on a holiday or weekend break maybe 4 times a year but abroad maybe only every other year so is more exciting and feels more like a treat :thumbup:

For us at the moment its UK no way would i take 2/3 toddlers on a plane flight. Even if it is only 3 hours. Have you ever been on a bus for an hour trying to entertain a toddler, its not fun and i wouldnt want to do it for 3 hours. Atleast in the car you can take breaks and they will sleep. I would love some sun but i wouldn't want to have to deal with grumpy kids in it. You can get some really nice UK breaks. A nice hotel near the beach just as good for us. In 7/10 years i'll risk an abroad holiday lol

Abroad definately!

We haven't been abroad since I was pregnant with Joshua....I really really miss the sun.

Like Sue_88, I spent every year going abroad 1-2 times a year up until 6 years ago. I don't class a UK holiday as a holiday, I would class it as a break as well.

We are finally going abroad this year...wooohoooooo

Yeah we usually go up to Scotland a couple of times a year and I class that as a break rather than a holiday lol! Xx

we love holidaying in the uk and have never been abroad as a family. I have nooooooo intention of doing so either! you can go to some beautiful places here, with loads to see and do. we enjoy going to museums, farms, open spaces etc etc so uk is perfect for us. Abroad holidays seem to involve a lot of sitting by a crowded pool in blazing hot sunshine. doesn't appeal to me at all! think it's a matter of personal preference? xx

I visit the UK a lot but I don't count it as a holiday, even though I don't live there.

It gets really warm here in the summer (last year we got up to about 35°C it was lovely) so we don't really go elsewhere.

When LO is a bit older we will be going round Europe in the car, seeing as most places are within 6 hours its nice to be right smack bang in the middle.

With hubby abroad absolutely, I used to never class the UK as a "holiday" but since having young kids I view it differently, while the boys are young we will holiday with them in the UK (except when we go to Disneyland Paris ) as there us a lot they will love, but hubby and I are going abroad together next year. I don't fancy the stress of it ATM with the kids, the tube is the most form of public transport I've done with the boys lol.

Oh but when we go abroad it's never just a sun holiday, couldn't think of anything more boring that sat next to a beach all day, so we tend to do a lot of excursions and sightseeing, it's nice to experience a new culture so we've rarely been to the same place twice, but it is nice going somewhere with guaranteed weather.

I enjoy both and still see going away in the uk as a holiday. We're going to Cornwall in May and its costing us much less than going abroad would even with food and activities factored in, we're buying our first house shortly so it'll be uk hols only for the foreseeable!

It depends what you want to do. This year I'm desperate for a holiday in the sun because I'm so exhausted with life :dohh: but usually I'd be happy staying in the UK. I love Scotland for walking holidays, I love any type of activity holiday where you can climb/kayak and all that, I'd be very happy spending a week in London, and festivals are lovely; Shambala last year was brilliant for Rory! I'd take any of that over the bog standard overly British Benidorm package holiday, but I love going on city breaks abroad and a quieter beach holiday is definitely nice once in a while!

Always abroad for me, but never a sun holiday. I absolutely hate the lay next to the pool type of holidays. I need to go sight seeing, visit attraction parks, do stuff with the kiddies etc =)

I'll be honest though, there's only 2 types of holidays we'd save up for. A 2 or 3 week holiday to Florida, to go back to Disney or a 1 week holiday in Holland to go and see family. We'd probably consider a short break to Scotland, but that's about it.

UK for us right now while we have young children. We did plenty of foreign holidays before becoming parents and when our children are older (youngest in school probably) then we'll have holidays abroad again. Right now though UK self catering works best for us - no flights or worry about medical access, we can take as much stuff as we can get in our car (we've got an estate) rather than a suitcase. We also always go with family (oh's parents, sil & bil and their young children).

we love holidaying in the uk and have never been abroad as a family. I have nooooooo intention of doing so either! you can go to some beautiful places here, with loads to see and do. we enjoy going to museums, farms, open spaces etc etc so uk is perfect for us. Abroad holidays seem to involve a lot of sitting by a crowded pool in blazing hot sunshine. doesn't appeal to me at all! think it's a matter of personal preference? xx

Lazing on the beach holidays sound awful to me too - but I still love going abroad (though I voted UK for our current point in life). A bit of relaxing with a book on the beach or swimming in the pool is nice as part of the holiday, but for me holidays are mainly about sightseeing and new cultures etc. We've been on safari, whale watching, temples in the jungle....

abroad for us i really look forward to the sun
we have took matthew abroad since he was 11 months he
is so much easier on holiday than he is at home we always expect the
flight to be a nightmare but he is always happy just looking around

For me personally, abroad wins hands down, I love long distance travel but I think if you have kids, they'd probably be happier in the UK, making friends, eating candyfloss and going in amusement arcades.

We've taken our daughter abroad twice, this is her 3rd time (we go in 5 weeks) and my sons 1st time. We don't lie round the pool either - surely only people without kids can do that? Lol! I like doing stuff! But we should probably decide when we return from ourfamilymoon! Xx

We don't do the pool thing either, climb Spanish rocks, visit towns, sites etc we always hire a car so we're not restricted.

My Los first holiday is May to Tenerife , then August to Spain and we'll still be climbing El Torcal :)

I prefer going abroad but not worth the hassle with these two! So Cornwall it is. We're very lucky I think there will be lots to see and do (more than tourist resorts abroad probably) but just worried about the weather here

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->