UK ladies - does the midwife check your cervix?

CupcakeBaby

Pregnant with a Princess
Reaction score
I keep reading on here about ladies being Xcm and 30% etc etc.

But I'm pretty certain they aren't Brits.

Is there a point over here when the midwife starts checking your cervix?

I don't really feel it necessary and really don't want a sweep (might be singing a different song in 6 weeks time) so was just wondering what the MW appointments are like as you get closer to the big day.

I'm 36 weeks and haven't had cervix checked'. I think I've read somewhere that they don't check cervix in the UK- but I could be wrong. Interested to see what others say x

Mine never did last time

No, the mw should never check your cervix. The only time for her to be near your cervix would be to do swabs in suspected case of infection, or when you're overdue and having a sweep. Xx

No in the uk they only check your cervix if they are performing a stretch and sweep or you suspect you are in labour.

Thanks everyone. :) That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Doesn't seem necessary to me.

With my dd my midwife checked mine on my due date but only because I asked her for a sweep xx

Hi I asked my mw to check mine at 39 weeks and she refused. I'm now 40+1and they might be checking tomorrow. I might be having a sweep due to big baby X

Only when I had a sweep as at 40+5 I had been contracting for 3 days at this point with little progression

No, they don't do any internal stuff until you are at least 40 weeks. Unless you've had bleeding or suspect your waters have gone etc.
Hope that reassures you.

Yeah your midwife will probably offer you a membrane sweep once you get to 40 weeks as long as baby is engaged (they won't do it if head is still high due to the risk of cord prolapse if they were to accidently rupture the membranes) You don't have to accept though.

Hmmm I'm gonna fire a spanner in the works here because I got an internal today. I had a show on Sunday and they checked me and said I'm 1-2cms dilated and have a soft mid/anterior cervix. A bishops score of 7 apparently. Wondering if it means anything or whether I'm in for another couple of weeks wait xx

Hmmm I'm gonna fire a spanner in the works here because I got an internal today. I had a show on Sunday and they checked me and said I'm 1-2cms dilated and have a soft mid/anterior cervix. A bishops score of 7 apparently. Wondering if it means anything or whether I'm in for another couple of weeks wait xx

Well I imagine she checked because you had a show. But how exciting! Do you want the baby now or after a little wait?!

I'm undecided tbh. I have super fast labours, my last baby was born in fifteen minutes, plus I have severe SPD. So I'd like it now because of the pain but I'm afraid of not making it to hospital. Oh well, what will be will be I guess!

I had mine checked at 34wks but only as I lost part of my plug I was 1cm dilated baby is transverse so am booked for a section button stand by for prem labour. I think checkin early can put u on edge really

I'm on baby no 4 and have only ever been checked while in labour x

Mine got checked at 40+1 and 41+1 and then about 582903582905820935 times when in labour (haha, that's how it felt at least ;)).

I believe the reasons they don't check routinely over here is because of the risk of infection. It's also pretty useless tbh, I've read of people being 40% effaced and 3cm dilated for weeks before labour starts, so what is the real point in knowing?

I did find out on Wednesday as I had a sweep because I'm overdue. Sadly I was 0cm dilated :cry: and had a Bishops Score of a mighty 1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->