• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

uk Ladies- how are your dogs coping in this heat?

missk1989

Reaction score
Little worried about the dog. Its pretty cool indoors considering the temperature outside but she keeps hiding under the table panting and shaking. How are your dogs doing?

As long as your dog has fresh water he/she should be fine(I live in Australia so very familiar with the heat) dogs pant to cool themselves down :)

Poor doggy. Mine is ok actually. She loves sunbathing though to be fair and I have to bring her in or she would roast herself!

If yours is that bad indoors I would possibly consider calling the vet - mine only pants excessively if she's been sat in direct sunlight for ages.

What do you mean shaking?

Mine hates the sun. He has a thick coat(cream) and pants like mad when he's only been walking only 20 or so minutes. We pass other people whose dogs aren't panting as much and people look at me as though i had him in the sun all day!

He hasn't been eating as much us usual and earlier in the week it was hard enough to get him to drink water (i fill his bowl 10+ times a day usually). I've been letting him drink from the watering can(?) because he would drink that water, but not from his bowl...He's sleeping more and i've took out the blankets from his bed so it's cooler. i've been giving him shorter walks when it's cooler in the evening and also been feeding him pieces of cucumber from the fridge and ice cubes. Yesterday i gave him a bath outside and he appreciated that.

Cheers ladies. She usually loves the heat and sits at the door until i let her out to sunbathe but obviously this is too much. Ill get OH to hose her down when he get in. She has had plenty of water and nlyshort 5 minute walks so ill just have to keep an ee on her.

One thing I do for my dog is to freeze water in a plastic bottle, put the frozen bottle in an old sock, and let my dog lay with it. Sometimes he chews on it, but since its just a plastic bottle, i don't care. I always make sure there is fresh, cool water out for him, and I don't take him for walks when it is hot (he usually doesn't want to go anyway). He also gets a hose down in the shower if he gets hot. He likes to snack on ice cubes so I give those to him.

Mine hasnt been too bad, one or two days he's been panting in the house but it seems to calm down after a while. He's gone off his food slightly but hasnt been a cause for worry as he will eat other things (wet dog food which he doesnt usual get unless it is treat day). I have also been putting ice cubes in his water and freezing fruit such as banana in his kong to keep him cool.

My sisters dog had a heat stroke today, collapsed and is critically ill at the vets :/ x

My dog is panting like mad too :( I've started giving him ice cubes to eat and keeping water in the fridge to fill his bowl up with. Seems to be helping x

I give mine water that has been chilled in the fridge, I have a fam near her bed and take her to the local park where dogs can swim inthe lake. She has the option to lie in the sun though but spends most of the time under the coffee table in the living room. I also keep all the blinds closed (for both of us) to keep the rooms cooler.

Mine's been ok. I live in a really old cottage and thankfully (in the summer, not in the winter, then it's a nightmare lol) it's always freezing cold, especially the kitchen end of the house so I try get him to stay in there a lot of the time. I've put extra water bowls out for him too, so one outside in the shade, his usual one in the kitchen and another in our dining room just so he has plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->