UK ladies please sign my breastfeeding e-petition

noon_child

Reaction score
Please follow this link to sign a government e-petition about breastfeeding https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72561

The basis of the petition is:
"Currently the human biology curriculum in secondary education includes the main bodily functions of digestion, excretion, reproduction and growth and repair. I would like the Department of Education to include the structures of the breast, how breast milk is made, and its components (both nutritional and hormonal).

50% of all students have breasts and if they become pregnant, these will produce milk regardless of the choices these females make about how to feed their child. To exclude breasts and breast milk from the curriculum is a barrier to these students learning about the realities of their own bodies.

Including it on the curriculum will also support the drive towards encouraging breastfeeding by allowing people to learn about breastmilk BEFORE they are faced with the pressures (and politics) of parenthood."

Feel free to share it if you want other to sign.

I don't know if it's a problem with my phone but the link isn't working. It's a great idea imo.
Xx

It has just worked for me. Please try again, and share on Facebook, Twitter, wherever!

While you are there, check out another petition (by someone else) about changing NHS recommendations to match WHO recommendations on continuing bf past 6months.

Bumping this as it has stopped trending! Please sign and share xxx

Happy to sign, but just to make you smile, my Human Biology A level included the breast structure and lactation and the hormones that make it all work, it was great :)

Happy to sign, but just to make you smile, my Human Biology A level included the breast structure and lactation and the hormones that make it all work, it was great :)

That's great! I just want it earlier. There's nothing about it in Key Stage 3 or 4 despite sex ed and the functions of the major organs being taught at that stage!

I agree it should be earlier, it's great to study it at A Level, I did human biology too (what a great choice! :) ), it should be GCSE level so it's taught to all.

That's great! I just want it earlier. There's nothing about it in Key Stage 3 or 4 despite sex ed and the functions of the major organs being taught at that stage!

I teach KS3 and 4. While I whole heartedly agree that bf needs to be high on the agenda and awareness of the benefits increased can I just point out we have so much to teach these students already!!! Soon there will be no onus on parents or families to do any teaching to their own students. Who taught my mum and grandmothers about the importance of bf??? Their mothers did!! But then I also know I am preaching to the converted! I don't know what the answer really is but I do know it will take a very long time to change habits of formula reliance as these are not solely young people who want freedom, pressure comes from family as they want a turn at feeding/ don't want to see todlers being bf. ( I'm up against this one now!)
P.s I have signed the petition!

I teach KS3 and 4. While I whole heartedly agree that bf needs to be high on the agenda and awareness of the benefits increased can I just point out we have so much to teach these students already!!! Soon there will be no onus on parents or families to do any teaching to their own students. Who taught my mum and grandmothers about the importance of bf??? Their mothers did!!

Oh I'm sympathetic - I work in education - which is why I tried to limit the perameters of my petition to breasts and breastmilk rather than, btreastfeeding, infant bonding, feeding choices etc.

I just think it is almost a feminist issue - if something is going to happen in your body I think our schools should be telling us about it. I mean I still remember from my school days how the human liver converts proteins to amino acids and, while I'm sure that is dead important, I can live my life no problem without knowing it. However I didn't know that breastmilk contains a hormone that tells babies when they are full and causes them to throw up if they drink too much, and I didn't know that it contains a hormone that feeds back to the body to slow milk production when too much of it builds up in breast tissue etc. These are all things that are of use to any woman who gives birth to a child, not just those who go in to the medical profession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->