UK ladies, private room at hospital rather than ward

Little G

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Im just curious if any of you requested to be in your own room rather than a ward and if it got granted. I've seen comments online that you can request for a fee..? I had a emcs with DD so was admitted to a ward for 3 day's which was fine but I barely got a wink of sleep, not from DD but other noises around the ward which is understandable but this time I would really like my own room. Just wondering if anybody has requested this in the past??

I know that at the birth centre where I had my DS you can request it but it costs £80. I believe at our local maternity hospital, you will only get a separate room if there is a medical reason (my friend had one because she had a tummy bug just before going into labour). I don't know if it varies from place to place though?

I've not requested it personally but I know at my hospital they will do it for a fee and its first come, first served. Not sure if it's something you can pre-book or if it's a pay on arrival type of thing, I know what you mean about the noises on a ward. I kept being woken up with the nurses admitting new mums in the middle of the night. X

Hmmm... think will mention to the midwife my next appointment and see what she say's. Yeah I was the same with DD, between them wheeling in the trollies for medication and people coming and going all the time its hardly a quiet environment for trying to get a few hrs shut eye. Think wouldnt mind paying so long as wasn't too expensive.

When I was induced I requested a private room because my OH didn't want to leave my side while I was getting induced ... poor bugger slept on the chair next to my bed for 2 days only leaving an hour a day to go home for a shower. We were prepared to pay for the room (seem to remember it was £130 a day) but they were really nice about it and the midwives in that ward I think took a shine to my OH so we never paid. There were only 2 in that ward.

Soon after being released home we were back in the maternity ward. Re-admitted due to my bad attempt at breastfeeding. Again we requested a private room, prepared to pay but they just gave it to us (there were only 3 in that ward) they warned me that should someone else need it i would be really required to move but we stayed 3 days I think it was.

I'd highly recommend a private room. At our hospital visitors can come and go as they please provided you have a private room. My oh was there pretty much all the time and they didn't care. Might be different elsewhere though.

When I was induced I requested a private room because my OH didn't want to leave my side while I was getting induced ... poor bugger slept on the chair next to my bed for 2 days only leaving an hour a day to go home for a shower. We were prepared to pay for the room (seem to remember it was £130 a day) but they were really nice about it and the midwives in that ward I think took a shine to my OH so we never paid. There were only 2 in that ward.

Soon after being released home we were back in the maternity ward. Re-admitted due to my bad attempt at breastfeeding. Again we requested a private room, prepared to pay but they just gave it to us (there were only 3 in that ward) they warned me that should someone else need it i would be really required to move but we stayed 3 days I think it was.

I'd highly recommend a private room. At our hospital visitors can come and go as they please provided you have a private room. My oh was there pretty much all the time and they didn't care. Might be different elsewhere though.

That sounds really good, defo going to speak to my midwife to see go about it. Seen a few people saying the same thing, that they were told a certain amount but in the end didnt need to pay anything, so fingers crossed, would really love my own room this time.

Forgot to say. Once I left the ward where I was induced and had my baby I was in another ward with one other person (there were 4 beds but only the 2 used) and oh my word did I want my private room back! The woman was so annoying and constantly talking loudly on the phone. Lucky I was out in a couple of hours.

Definitely ask, good luck.

The hospital where I just had my baby they were all private rooms at no charge. They did previously do the charging thing when I had my DS, so it's certainly worth asking about!

My DH was even allowed to stay overnight and there was a fold up guest bed in the room for him to sleep on. Even if you had to pay I'd say they are definitely worth the cash!

I had a private room first time round because my DD was in neonatal for the first night and they didn't want to put me with the other mums and babies. We ended up staying in hospital for 5 days so I was so grateful for my own room. This time around I will definitely be requesting a private room and am willing to beg and pay!

I was supposed to only be in for one night but they forgot to put my DS on the list to see the paediatrician and I ended up having to stay another night. I had a big meltdown because I'd had no sleep the night before and they gave me a private room and didn't charge me. I had a really annoying woman on the ward with me the first night and I would have gone mad if I'd had two nights of that. I'm going for a home birth this time just so I don't have to be in hospital after the birth.

My maternity unit is all private rooms as well must just be lucky 😂

With my daughter I requested a private room - but they were already arranging that so that she could have the special care she needed with me rather than going to scbu for it.. Because she needed special care they gave it to me for free but otherwise it was £90per night :O

I think it differs in hospitals but I had a private room after having my DD. I was in for 5 days too and my husband stayed for 3 nights in a chair in the corner as they were under staffed and needed the extra help. I haven't actually seen a shared ward yet...

Our hospital has all private rooms now and tbh I hated it! I had DS at 6pm and DH went home at 10pm. I was alone until 8am the next morning feeling totally isolated as a 1st time mum with a newborn. Given the choice Id be on a ward x

Im really hoping I can get one then, I was the same with DD, there was a lady beside me that when she talked she was that loud that im sure the people in the next ward could hear her too.... thats ok for a while but not when youve had 0 sleep for the 3 nights previous from being in labour then being constantly woken on the ward from her blinkin over loud yapping till all hrs! Nah private room is defo the way for me, fingers crossed Im able to have one.

Where I had my last baby you could request a private room in birthing centre if delivered on L&D but had to pay for it.

I liked being on the ward... I am extremely nosy & love to know what's going on! In fact I met one of my best mummy friends who was in the bed opposite & we are still friends two years on! I can understand those that want the privacy though x

I did not enjoy the ward, I was in for 1.5nights, LO born at 1:26am thursday stayed the Thursday night...I asked form private room but there was non available. They were also priced at £200+ but I didn't care! My dad was there with his card that I would have taken lol. I actually walked to check and they were all taken up, I was annoyed thought they were lying to me.

Definitely call and check about price, and ask on the day/night!

I was in for 3 nights after having dd1 and 1 night after having dd2 both times in a private room. I did request a private room and didn't have to pay? I am a member of staff at the hospital and I know they do try to put staff in a private room when possible but I don't think they charge at my hospital? I think it's if they are available. I personally liked having my own space which had a bathroom too.

I've got an appointment at the hospital at 32 weeks to discuss my section again so will speak to the consultant then as well as my midwife, think because im going to be in for a few day's id like my own wee space this time away from all the hustle and bustle of a ward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->