UK ladies: SMP entitlement for 2nd baby

tuttibella

Reaction score
I’m in the 2nd trimester at the moment but posting this here as I thought I’d get a better response.

I’m currently on annual leave at the moment following 52 weeks maternity leave. Toward the end of the maternity leave I was on SMP. When I return to work I’ll be 16 weeks pregnant. Will I qualify for SMP again?

My confusion lies in the requirement that I must be continuously employed for 26 weeks prior to the 15th week before my due date. Firstly, I’m not sure if my maternity leave, particularly the unpaid section will count as continuous employment. Also, when I return to work I’ll be going back part-time. Will the new terms & conditions of employment mean I am now considered a new employee? I’m sure others have gone through this, any advice/info please? xx

I’m in the 2nd trimester at the moment but posting this here as I thought I’d get a better response.

I’m currently on annual leave at the moment following 52 weeks maternity leave. Toward the end of the maternity leave I was on SMP. When I return to work I’ll be 16 weeks pregnant. Will I qualify for SMP again?

My confusion lies in the requirement that I must be continuously employed for 26 weeks prior to the 15th week before my due date. Firstly, I’m not sure if my maternity leave, particularly the unpaid section will count as continuous employment. Also, when I return to work I’ll be going back part-time. Will the new terms & conditions of employment mean I am now considered a new employee? I’m sure others have gone through this, any advice/info please? xx

You'll still be entitled to it as you will have been continuously employed. Mat Leave is not a separation of service. No Way. No how.

What may/will change is what pay you will receive. So depending on what your salary is it may change the amount (mainly the 90% portion).

Your entitlement/amount is worked out on your avg weekly earnings usually between the 17-25 week period. Check the exact wording of your Mat policy for the exact payslips they will use but its likely to be around then. Which is when you will be back at work and being paid :)

Hope this helps.
(I'm a HR manager in the UK)

You'll still be entitled to it as you will have been continuously employed. Mat Leave is not a separation of service. No Way. No how.

What may/will change is what pay you will receive. So depending on what your salary is it may change the amount (mainly the 90% portion).

Your entitlement/amount is worked out on your avg weekly earnings usually between the 17-25 week period. Check the exact wording of your Mat policy for the exact payslips they will use but its likely to be around then. Which is when you will be back at work and being paid :)

Hope this helps.
(I'm a HR manager in the UK)

Sorry to gate crash your thread tuttibella but beccy do you know if SMP has to start the day the baby is born. Reason I'm asking baby is due 13th July and I will leave the beginning of July but have 4 weeks holiday to take. Could I use July as my holiday, start SMP in August 6 weeks at 90%? (i don't have a HR appartment and can't seem to get an answer from anyone)

Your smp has to start the day after you have the baby but you could be entitled to be paid for any leftover holiday days you didn't use

I think it's the day before actually as it can't start after your edd unfortunately. But as the pp said you shouldn't lose this holiday so they should pay you for it or offer to carry over for you depending on their policy with this x

Thank you, so it must start on your edd even if you go overdue 2 weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->