UK - pre school for 3yrs

jacobs mummy

mum of 1
Reaction score
I think i've read a similar post a while back on here but can't find it any where. Can anyone help me pls. I've put my little boys name down for a school near where we live for pre school. He's currently in a private nursery doing 2 full days. When he turns 3 next year i want him to start an actual school where he'll be doing 5 mornings or 5 afternoons a week. It'll get him ready for school when he turns 4. Do i have to pay contributions towards his pre school if it's a goverment funded school? I'm confused with the 2 1/2 hours per week rule. Does this rule only stand if he stays in private nursery? not sure how it works.

H x

Usually school nurseries are for 2 1/2 hour sessions each day, either morning or afternoon. Some councils offer full time nursery places from 3. You don't need to pay anything. The nursery at the school where i work offers something called wrap around care, which means that the children can stay all day but you have to pay for them to stay for lunch club and the extra sessions.

If your son is just going to do the morning or afternoon then it will be free.

My son has just started nursery, he goes every morning 9-11.30. For free. They usually start the January or September after they're 3. HTH xxx

We are the same, my DS started preschool nursery this year & goes 9am until 11.30 every morning, it is free & then in 2 years he'll move up to the school that the nursery is attached to. :)

Carly started before she turned three ( a week and a half before) so i have had to pay for the whole term. But she will get 5 free sessions which will start next term ( jan)

im not sure about if it also applies to private pre schools. Ring up HM revenue and they will tell you everything you need to know :)

Im in Wales so things may be diffrent but for the first Full term after there 3rd birthday they get 5 free sessions a week.....
..those 5 can be 5 mornings, 5 afternoons or 2 and a half full days (but you'd have to pay for dinner club)

Im in Wales so things may be diffrent but for the first Full term after there 3rd birthday they get 5 free sessions a week.....
..those 5 can be 5 mornings, 5 afternoons or 2 and a half full days (but you'd have to pay for dinner club)

England is the same.
They get funding for five 2.5hr sessions a week the term after they are 3.
My eldest 2 have August birthdays so luckily we got funding for them from September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->