UK Same Sex Couples - Re: Your Fairytale Wedding

laurac1988

Mummy to Eden
Reaction score
Afternoon people!

As some of you know my partner and I are a gay couple. We are currently in a civil partnership and were looking forward to converting to marriage in December when it is allowed.

We were looking forward to all the things that come with marriage. We had a very small civil partnership but want a big wedding. We want to celebrate our love with family and friends, and say the vows that make us a married couple. We want to say the same vows and receive the same marriage certificate as our friends who have married, whether straight, gay or otherwise.

Unfortunately today we discovered that the conversion will be more of a desk exercise, much like paying taxes or getting a new tax disk for the car.

Couples will not be offered a ceremony for a conversion. There will also be no marriage certificate issued, just a "certificate of conversion". I don't know about you folk, but I don't think that is very equal at all. The only way to get an actual marriage certificate and a wedding in which we would be able to say those vows in a venue of our choice (I want a castle... But conversions can only take place in a registry office) would be to dissolve the civil partnership and do it all over again. But unfortunately "we want a real wedding" is not a good enough reason for dissolution.

Another couple already started a petition regarding this, and I would love if anyone that agrees could sign.

My opinion on this is that everyone should be equal. Regardless of race, faith, colour or sexuality, we should all have the same choices when it comes to things like this. I also, quite simply, believe that making conversion a desk based exercise takes away many of the reasons why I wanted to marry my partner in the first place.

I appreciate any signatures. Many thanks.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...facebook&utm_source=share_petition#supporters

Also, I dud not start this thread to cause arguments,so please if you don't agree, don't sign the petition. We're all entitled to our own beliefs here :)

We had a big CP, we treated it like a proper wedding. Though it wasn't traditional or expensive, it was still a full on day with all friends and family. So when we convert, I'll be happy with a quiet affair and a meal with just us and the kids afterwards.

But that's me personally. I can completely see your reason for supporting the petition, it does seem that people who opted for the CP have been slightly shafted in the equal marriage process. Even the fact that we have to wait longer - why can't I be married now, like my non-CPed friends could be?

It's not just the issue of time or ceremony, but it appears that CPed couples won't get a proper marriage certificate? I think this is the key issue. How can we be equal when we won't even have a proper marriage certificate? My CP certificate is rubbish, it's really unofficial looking, almost like something you'd get after sports day at primary school, printed on Publisher.

My wife and I got married in Las Vegas :)

It was a symbolic ceremony there of course before the 'desk exercise' at home. Having a symbolic ceremony to us meant everything, we treated that as our actual wedding!!

dont get me wrong I WISH we could have got 'properly' married (those lucky straight couples eh?) but they way i see it, were luckier than some!

xlightsinskyx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->