undecided on which birth i want??

lewood88

Mom of 2 expecting #3
Reaction score
well when i went to see my consultant yesterday we had a good chat about bothe options ( vbac & c section) he went throught the risks for both and now im kinder scared of giveing birth all together :dohh:

vbac option:

im at high risk of the scar tearing, and if i fail to dilate again id have to have a c section anyway, but on the plus is all goes well i can get home quicker and recovery time is alot quicker

c section option :

because im big i have a high risk of wound infection ( which i never had when i had dd ) and thrombosis and blood loss, recovery is alot longer

i just dont know what to do and with the thrombosis thing we are at risk of getting it if we take the pill or other medication :nope:

i have 9 weeks to decided what to do i have been looking on the net about c sections with larger women and none of the mention thrombosis so i really dont know

I'm opting for a vbac this time. They have said there is a risk if scar rupture, but it is a very minimal risk. They'll only allow me to go 7 days overdue, and I then have to decide between induction, with again a slightly higher risk of uterine rupture, or repeat c section. I'm personally hoping to avoid c section at all costs. I was in for four days with my c section, and really hoping for a 6 hour discharge this time x

thats the thing what scares me is uterine rupture because i do want more kids in the future

I know how you feel! I don't have the thrombosis etc risk, but it was still a tough decision. I really don't want to go overdue, because they have informed me that the risk of rupture is higher with induction, and they would only let me labour for 12 hours before going for c-section. This is my worst nightmare scenario. In the end I have booked in for an elective, but think I will be doing what I can before that date so I have the choice if I were to go into labour before.

For me, although the % risks involved in rupture were lower than the risks associated with c-section, I felt the rupture was potentially more 'catastrophic' for me, hence booking the elective.

xxx

I opted to try VBAC with second baby - they told me risks with blood loss, rupture etc but said it was uncommon so I went with natural birth choice. However, what they didn't tell me until nearer the time was that I would be hooked up to monitor at all times, not allowed into birth pool, not allowed to walk about etc. as I have back problems the thought of lying in bed for more than a couple of hours was very worrying - even with an epidural - I constantly move about through the night or my back spasms.
The worst bit for me was that my midwife wouldn't arrange a consultant meeting so that I Could arrange a planned section instead & I ended up waiting til 41+2.

On the plus side my 2nd section was soo easy - discharged 2 days later, fully mobile 7 days after op and driving 3 weeks later.

I've been told the risk is extremely minimal, and I'm only 15 months post last c section. They said I can labour in the birth pool with intermittent monitoring, but have to give birth 'on dry land', which is ok with me. You don't have to agree to constant monitoring, me and my consultant came to a mutual agreement that worked for the both of us. They're happy for me to be active and move about. I bought a book from amazon called 'vaginal birth after caeasaerean' which has been great and made me a lot more confident in my choices. x

I was told I had to have constant monitoring - maybe due to my first section being. Due to placenta praevia and the incision being slightly different? That's good your consultant s willing to comprise with you lexi.
Good luck

The info I got given states that the risk of uterine rupture from vbac is less than 2 women out of every 1000, the same as the risk with repeat c section. Whilst the risk of needing an emergency hysterectomy during a repeat c section is 1 in 90. The maternal fatality rate during vbac was 0.004%, whilst repeat c section is 0.17%. x

You can opt out of constant monitoring. I'm going to request that I'm regularly monitored and only constantly monitored when I'm pretty far along. I'm trying for a vbac because I think a section has more risks IMO.

ive spoken to my mom and i think i am going to have a section, i am going to speak to my SIL as she has had 3 sections and get abit more advice on it :)

It's also worth asking for their recent success rate for Vbac. My hospital was only 63% over the last 2 years. Although more than half, for me those stats weren't good enough which was a factor in my decision. This is at the lower end of the vbac success percentages, so your may be much higher.

I wish my hospital had been flexible on the constant monitoring - when I saw the consultant I said that I understood that constant monitoring was negotiable, but consultant shot me down....however, by this point in the meeting I think I had already made my decision so I didn't fight.

At the end of the day you've got a fair bit of time to decide, and I feel most of us have a 'gut feeling' of the way we'd like to go and what's right for us, so it's definitely worth listening to that part of your inner self! Good luck whatever you decide.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->