Under active thyroid- I'm in a panic

loulouamy

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light. Iv just got back the hospital, they said they are 99% sure iv got pregnancy related under active thyroid 😕 waiting on bloods to confirm. Of course I stupidly googled, everywhere says there is a risk to the baby, has anyone dealt with this? Any advise? I'm worried about my baby!!

Hi please don't worry about hypothyroidism in pregnancy. I have an advanced case called hashimotos which I was receiving treatment for from my endocrinologist before I fell pregnant. Basically they will monitor your levels and ensure you take the correct dosage. Ensure they monitor you every 8 weeks as this is how long it takes to see if the dosage is right in your body, It's a slow acting hormone.
I am 35 weeks and my baby is healthy and happy and I have not received treatment any different from anyone that is 'normal' such as scans, appointments etc.
As far as I am aware there are lots of women on here that have hypothyroidism before falling pregnant and have 'normal' successful pregnancies. Just be sure you get the correct treatment, in the first trimester your baby can't produce it's own thyroxine so ideally you should take an additional 25% as your body will give up what it requires for the baby and leave you short.
Relax and enjoy pregnancy

Thank you for your reply. My worry is that I didn't have it before pregnancy, my mother has it so they say that's why I developed it in pregnancy, I'm worried that I'm 8 weeks preganant and so I haven't been taking medication, and prob won't start till next monday( my follow up app) and I'm worried it will effect baby development!!! 😕

Yes it is a genetic condition, although none of my family have it and I have a rare form. Please try not to worry, I didn't realise I was pregnant until I was 12 weeks, then my endocrinologist was on holiday so was about 16 weeks before I was seen and my medication was adjusted. So even though I was taking the dosage for me, my baby was taking it. Your body is an amazing thing and your baby will take what it needs from you before it suffers. Mine is measuring as it should the while way along (touch wood) & my body is reacting as it should. Discuss your concerns with your doctor at your appointment, but you will be ok and it won't suffer for not getting the medication, only you.

loulouamy, I had something similar. My thyroid was normal but TSH started to go up in pregnancy to around 2.4 and my endocrinologist thought it was a bit risky and suggested I start taking the hormone (low dose 25) to bring the TSH to below 2 level. I started taking it around week 11 so quite late as well. I know many ladies who go through IVF are put on this hormone as a "just in case" sort of thing to make sure your baby gets enough of this hormone. I am told it should go back to normal after you have your baby so you will be able to stop the hormone.

ladies, does anyone know anything about iodine? my levels went up a lot and above the normal levels. I have no idea why as I do not eat any iodine fortified food and do not even like salt. I take normal prenatal with 150 in it but I was taking it before I got pregnant and my iodine levels were OK. could taking the hormone can somehow increase your iodine levels?

Mine was low in pregnancy but not low enough to need medication. The level can vary.

Ive had it with all my pregnancies. All my babies are fine. I had to get regular blood tests to keep an eye on it, and if it got too bad the Drs would have put me on meds but luckily it didn't get that bad.

I was diagnosed with an under active thryoid 5 years ago after 2 miscarriages (my thryoid was most likely the cause). I was medicated and my levels have been fine ever since. Of course when I got pregnant this time.. I was petrified! But because I was medicated (my thyroid meds were increased when I fell pregnant) and all was going smoothly with my levels, everything is going fine. I developed hashimoto's which is an autoimmune thyroid disease at 5 weeks pregnant and that was something else to worry about but no doctor seemed concerned apart from Doctor Google.

I also googled about under active thyroid in pregnancy, which doctors do want the levels to be stable, and what I came across scared me too! But how thryoid can effect the baby is growth but I've had no problems with babies growth and haven't needed any extra scans. And you'll be medicated so once your levels are stable, it's just like not having an under active thyroid at all.

Generally it's not a major issue in or out of pregnancy, and your doctor will keep an eye on your levels.

Good luckxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->