under weight at 2 months?

birdlee337

Reaction score
So Emilee had her two month checkup. She weighed 7.5lbs at birth and when we left the hospital she was 6.15lbs. I exclusively bf her. She eats like every 2-3 hours. And sleeps about 5-7 houra at night but takes a bottle of bf milk during the night. She weighs 9.13lbs today. Was told she is under weight and I need to supplement with formula. My question is what did ur baby weight at 2 months and at birth? I am so frustrated cause to me she is filling out alot. I want to bf only...butwas told to give her some fformula after I bf her. Said I am not producing enough milk. I have a hamd pump....can't afford a good one at thw moment. So idk what to do!!!! :( So disappointed. But will do anything to make sure my baby girl is healthy! :)

I'm sorry it didn't go so well.
My lo weighed 8lb at birth and was 13lb 5oz at his 8 week check. All babies gain differently so it harsh saying you need to supplement. Have you tried anything to help your supply?

5-7 hours at night is a long time! Try adding in a dream fed or 2, and not expressed milk because you can't get the calorie rich hind milk so easily with a pump and she might be missing out compared to if she fed directly. I would approach an ibclc and get some support, rather than just introduce formula. If you had a bad leg, you'd get to heal it before just accepting a wheelchair! Good luck x

I'm sorry it didn't go so well.
My lo weighed 8lb at birth and was 13lb 5oz at his 8 week check. All babies gain differently so it harsh saying you need to supplement. Have you tried anything to help your supply?

Oh wow 5lbs! All babies r different I agree! I pump daily a few times with the manual...but don't get much out at all..1-2 oz at most....mainly ti help me when I feel engorged! So I am looking at trying to rent a hospital grade pump. See if I can! My insurance doesn't cover a breast pump. Only the crappy manual one I have.

Also check you're using the who charts, as they are more breastfed baby friendly than the cdc ones x

eta-I've just checked the who charts for you, and your baby has dropped from around the 40th percentile to around the 15th. I'd definitely seek an ibclc and get some advice, and feed more frequently and introduce a night feed or 2 x

I've just looked at my girl's growth charts and my LO was 7.5pounds at 2 months, born at 5.5pounds. She was considered underweight because she was below all the lines on the weight chart.

Looking at the charts we get given, your LO's weight is between the 2nd and 9th centile. This means they are within a "normal" range, smaller than a lot of the population but not underweight. However the actual centile line isn't always important. What should be looked at is whether she is in proportion for her length and also whether she is growing at a steady rate. e.g if she was 9.5 pounds a month ago and between then and now hadn't put on any weight, that would be concerning. If she started had been on the 50th centile till 2 weeks ago and then suddenly dropped to the 9th, that could be concerning. If she is growing and looks in proportion, then I'd say that weight is fine!

It is very rare for women to not make enough milk when their baby is latched correctly, the mother is well nourished and they are feeding on demand. Unless you have concerns over the latch (is it painful? do your nipples come out a funny shape after feeds? are they cracked? do you get repeated bouts of mastitis?) the top-ups could actually reduce the amount of milk you produce. I started top-ups at 6 weeks because of poor latch and low weight and had to use a breast pump every time I gave her any formula. This was exhausting and time consuming but I knew if I didn't do it I might never make enough milk for her.

I'd ask your doctor on what basis they say she is underweight and if you still feel you are not making enough milk you need to start pumping whenever she takes a bottle. Night feeds are the best at increasing supply so maybe swap that night bottle to a daytime one and breastfeed at night. BUT only if you really are concerned about supply. From what I can tell what you are doing sounds like it is working for you and it seems insane to start killing yourself pumping and topping up based on that weight without additional reasons to be concerned.

eta-I've just checked the who charts for you, and your baby has dropped from around the 40th percentile to around the 15th. I'd definitely seek an ibclc and get some advice, and feed more frequently and introduce a night feed or 2 x

I think I understand the charts slightly differently. A 50th centile baby at birth who regains their birth weight by 14 days is then on the 25th centile. This drop is normal and weight gain from that point on is expected to vary around the 25th centile line not the 50th.

I agree that we might expect OP's LO on or around the 25th centile line but it seems extreme to say "underweight" when hovering around the 9th. But I may be misunderstanding something as my toddler is currently asking me many and varied challenging questions as I type!!!!

I have an app that works out percentiles for me, and the op's baby has dropped 2 since her lowest weigh in after birth. I shall double check in a bit x

My lo was born at 8lbs 13 oz and probably only gained a little under two pound by 2 months. She was peeing and pooping as she should meeting all her milestones and other then weight and reflux had no other problems. She was tested and had no issues and at the urging of my public health nurse I tried her with expressed breast milk and formula top ups all of which she refused. Now at 10 months she's still very small for her age despite how much she eats (I've seen her eat half a quiche and then 20 cherries all in one sitting). I would find a good lactation consultant to speak to, but slow weight gain does not always equal a supply issue if everything else with your baby is fine.

ETA: Felt I should add that my doctor was never concerned with her weight as long as she was meeting her milestones, was peeing and pooping as she should be and never dropped off the charts, same with the pediatrician who the nurse pushed to get us refered to.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the responses. I went and spoke to my local lactation consultants and nutritionist. I bf in front of them and we weighed Emilee and she had bf 1.5 oz in 15 minutes. They we're happy with that. And said she was doing well....not concerned at all. Was there for a while and I feel better about it all. With her doing very well with everything else....lenght....head circumference. ..milestones! So I am not going to formula supplement yet. She got her shots today too....poor baby. She was not happy. She is now passed out on my mom's shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->