Unexpected side effects of birth you weren't expecting

Kern

Reaction score
I gotta say, finding out what happens to your body after birth is no easy task. It's like no one talks about it. So there were some surprising things that I had I wasn't expecting and thought I'd share and we can see if they're not so common or just another unspoken after effect!

I'd say the strangest effect was my posture right after birth. I couldn't stand straight up without feeling shortness of breath. I guess where my body compensated for my giant belly it had to take a minute to get back to normal.

Also, I'm three weeks pp and there's still a spot on my left leg that feels "numb" from the epidural.

What surprised you about birth recovery?

I had the thing where I couldn't stand up properly and if I did I had shortness of breath and pains in my ribs! I thought it was partly because I'd pretty much spent 24 hours on all fours because of all the pain being in my back! But what you said makes sense!

I've not heard anyone else have this too, so glad it's not just me!

Oh and going for my first poo after giving birth...that was scary lol. Or any poos for quite a few weeks!

It felt awful. After a 2nd degree tear it felt like I was going to rip open again!

I couldn't sit for a week due to hemorrhoids and second degree tear that was swollen. when i managed to lay down then it took forever to get up. If it hadn't been for my husband i would have never been able to take care of my baby.
thinks are better now, but still have some discomfort,

My hips felt completely out of alignment for a few months after because of the way the nurses pushed and held my legs back. I even walked funny because of it. I was so relieved when they went back to normal

Yeah, I was so excited to be able to move around like normal after birth, what I didn't expect is for the first few weeks to knock me on my butt! I still felt pregnant cause it took forever to move around. Definitely made taking care of baby more difficult!

My dr was more concerned about the hemorrhoids than the third degree tear. Yikes! :cry:

Also, how I was surprised at how quickly I decided I do want another child given the pain from recovery and sleep deprivation. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :dohh:

I couldn't eat for 2 weeks! The idea of eating food was repulsive.

I had a spinal block to stitch a tear and afterwards for about five months I would occasionally get this sensation EXACTLY like warm water was washing over my foot! Doc said it was nerve damage from the spinal, and would fade in time, which it did. It was weird but actually quite pleasant.

I couldn't eat for 2 weeks! The idea of eating food was repulsive.

I was like this but for about a month! The thought of eating anything made me feel sick!

I also peed myself a lot :haha: thank god for the maternity pads!

I had a strange ache and breathlessness in what felt like my collarbone area, made me feel like I was going to drop. My mom said it's probably from tensing during delivery.

I was (and still am) severely anemic and I was VERY breathless the first few days in general. I found I've been off balance a lot and almost topple over, even though I've been like standing fine??

I slouch a lot more.

I wasn't exprcting the ankles to swell more than they were already.. Then I woke up one morning n the swelling had disapeared, as well as my calves and bum shrinking down rapidly!

I was not expecting the pain from swollen breasts. Genuinely wanted to cry.

I too have gone off food. I've eaten purely because the other half has cooked. Otherwise i could have gone two days now with absolutely nothing I reckon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->