Uninsured, so frustrated -- UPDATE pg 2

Livvy

Reaction score
Long story short, we have been trying to get Medicaid for 3 months and the process has been soooo slow... Now that I'm pregnant again (not planned) I am frustrated because I need prenatal appointments but there is no way I can pay $300 or more out of pocket for them (not counting labs or ultrasounds!!). They want me to meet with a social worker to see if I qualify for a discount but they require 3 months worth of pay stubs and hubby has apparently been throwing his out when he gets them (which I didn't know... Ugh). So frustrated. Just need some support!!

Living in the UK, we don't pay for healthcare unless we choose to go private. So I have no idea what it must feel like to worry about being able to pay for pregnancy care.

Being pregnant is stressful enough, without having to worry about paying for the privilege! All I can say is :hugs:, I'm sure you'll work something out. Maybe ask your husband to contact his employer to get duplicate pay slips?

Thanks for replying imaceful, and for the hug <3 It's times like these I wish I lived in Canada or the UK!! America truly has horrible care for moms and moms-to-be... even if you work full time you can only get 6-12 weeks off at partial pay after the birth!

He will contact his employer, it'll just take time for them to get here. I am a very impatient person :haha:

Here are some resources that you may or may not have covered already:

1. Local Health Department can help you find clinics that provide low cost or no cost prenatal care until you figure out your insurance. You can call 1-800-311-2229 and get more information.

2. If there are any medical schools in your area you can call them. Medical schools usually run a prenatal care clinic where third year students are supervised by licensed doctors. The care is usually free or next to free.

3. Planned Parenthood provides free or sliding scale prenatal care.

You have probably tried all that since you have been going through it for three months but hey, hope it helps.

Thank you Mrs. MB :flower: the place I called is supposedly free IF you meet their requirements. So we shall see!

Have you been to the health department? I think it's there that you can apply for medicaid for pregnant women. I'm not sure what info you'd need, but my neighbor got it and she said it was an easy process (not sure what 'easy' means to her though). Hopefully, hubby can get a copy of his pay stubs and the process for you will move along! Sorry it's a long process, and I know it must be frustrating. I went 2 years without insurance and it was awful to try and get any services.

Best of luck with all this insurance crapola.

Yes we've been going through the health department to try to get Medicaid. I wasn't pregnant before though, so maybe this will move things along?

Livvy they should give you immediate medical coverage even if it switches later to where you use Obamacare. I am not sure who is telling you it is a long process, being as though you are pregnant you could go to ER right now pregnant and they do an immediate application for Medicade, no way you will get denied. Apply for only yourself to make it faster.

Thanks Katt, I may have to do that. Do you know what all is covered under Medicaid? Will I still have to pay out of pocket for some things like ultrasounds?

It depends on what state you are living in. Generally they can either give you full Medicaid or limit it to pregnancy-related visits. As far as prenatal care you will covered 100% including L&D and 60 days post-partum.

Fully covered and no out of pocket expense. I had it for my oldest first born when I was 25. I paid 0. They won't let you go with no coverage, believe me.

Mrs. B and Katt I hope you're right!

That stinks!

They may be able to pay for back bills if it was in a certain amount of time. But I agree, they shouldnt let you go uncovered while pregnant!

Also, your hubby can ask his job for his stubs again!

Good luck!

UPDATE: My medicaid was approved!! My hubby called and told them I was pregnant and it got approved almost immediately! Feeling so relieved!! Thank you all. <3

UPDATE: My medicaid was approved!! My hubby called and told them I was pregnant and it got approved almost immediately! Feeling so relieved!! Thank you all. <3

I knew it!!! Yeahhhhhh!!!! SO happy it worked out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->