Unpasturized parmesean cheese

Dia0624

Reaction score
I apologize for the double post (posted in 1st tri as well). But I need to know if Everything will be ok. After I ate a chicken Parmesan sandwich which I figured was safe ( bec I read Parmesan cheese is safe) I decided to ask if the cheese was pasturized and it isn't. I'm feeling so guilty and upset now. Has anyone eaten unpasturized cheese and been ok? It was melted but I can't tell if that means thoroughly cooked. I'm really worried. I'm waiting for my doc to call me back. Thanks!!

has your doctor gotten back with yu yet? if its heated to steaming then that should be the temperature that kills listeria but anything unpasteurized has a higher risk of containing listeria. ive eaten deli meat about 9 or 10 times altogether since being pregnant and about twice since being in 3rd tri and ive been fine but i definitely dont try and press my luck about it. sometimes i just crave it and i love cold deli. i pray to God to keep me and my baby girl protected when i do crave it unconditionally though! even if there was a listeria contamination in your cheese (i think they can test yu by blood sample to see if you have ingested it), i believe the doctor/hospital has antibiotics to kill it and its safe for yu and yur baby to take those antibiotics

I would assume if it is cooked it is okay. I would see what your doctor says.

I had cheddar from unpasteurised milk in my first trimester. I did not know as cheddar is ok to eat. I also freaked out big time but i guess all was ok :)
I also had hollandaise sauce couple of times which i did not know its made with raw eggs.

Thank you so much for responding it has helped me calm down! My docs office did call me back and said I will be fine if it's just one time. There's not much my doc warned me about except deli meats, swordfish and unpasteurized cheese so I don't know how I could have been so careless about it. But hopefully it will not cause harm. Thanks again.

Don't worry. In the UK we are not advised to avoid deli meats anyway. In my first pregnancy with DD I spent a week in Italy eating loads of parma ham. It wasn't until I got home that I found out parma ham is actually cured not cooked so it isn't recommended to eat it. I FREAKED out and was at my doctors crying because I thought I had put the baby at risk. The doctor basically told me that the risk from these things is really, really small so not to worry. Once it's done it's done. I actually looked up the figures for listeria and the amount of people infected every year is really really small. I'm not saying people should ignore the guidelines because obviously it is a serious condition if you do get it, but the chances of you having contracted it from a one off time are really very slim indeed.

I think you'll be fine. Listeria is very rare, and Parmesan is an aged cheese. Even when made with unpasteurized milk, it is much less likely to carry harmful pathogens than a semi-soft or soft unpasteurized cheese. The aging process usually kills off a lot of the bad stuff, decreasing your listeria risk. See: https://healthvermont.gov/enviro/food_lodge/raw_milk.aspx; "Aged (60 days) hard cheeses such as cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese may be safely made from unpasteurized milk." :thumbup:

I found this recent piece interesting - it has nothing to do with pregnancy specifically, but it shows just how little risk there is of listeria poisoning and how hard it is to target things not to eat.

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/6/8158289/food-poisoning

Our last publicized outbreak was in Blue Bell Ice Cream's single-serve treats last week. Who would ever think about that?

Thank you ladies! Yes that's what I read too, from ice cream and 3 people died! How terrifying! I feel fine so I must be ok but it did make me more cautious for the future. There's so much to avoid though like I'm afraid of ordering chicken outside incase its undercooked. I don't get salads outside incase its not washed properly. I'm probably going overboard but I am afraid to risk it.

On a side note.. I love penne alla vodka and I have been craving it for weeks now lol... Are foods cooked in alcohol bad during pregnancy?

I'd think it would be fine. My mom put a bunch of red wine in the french onion soup she made. The alcohol cooks out. I love that meal... now I want some... :haha:

Yeah you'll be fine. Like pp said the alcohol cooks out. I've pretty much stayed away from the deli meats, but I've been digging into those cheeses not thinking twice about asking about pasteurization, and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->