Unprepared for breastfeeding, tips/advice/support??

ourturnnext

Reaction score
My baby is six days old and I was convinced I'd only bf for a couple of days as I didn't enjoy bf my first.

However... It seems to be going well. Baby's latched on really well, nipples are coping well, she feeds pretty quickly.

But then lastnight she projectile vomited twice in an hour and seemed to really struggle with wind all night. Feel like it's knocked my confidence and made me realise I'm totally unprepared for breastfeeding!

Don't really know what kind of help I'm after, just any kind words would be nice I suppose!!! Xxx

Ugh this happens to us too every now and again even at three months! Having done it all this time (ok, not long, but it feels like forever lol), here's what I've found:

In the beginning you produce a LOT of milk - far too much actually ... because of this, a new baby is often full before the milk has had a chance to become really creamy and high in fat (this happens gradually, with the milk towards the end of an average feed being much fattier than that at the beginning). In itself this isn't a problem, as all milk contains some fat and will nourish your baby just fine until production settles down. However, the thirst-quenching, watery stuff that starts the feed is high in lactose and babies can't process it too well to begin with, meaning they often get gassy during digestion. Could this be happening with you? If you're producing an extreme amount of milk, you'll know about it lol.

As for the vomiting, it's probably just a lot of spit up, though it comes out with quite some force sometimes. This is probably caused by the baby taking in a lot of milk quickly along with air - the bubbles trapped in the stomach have to come out somehow and they usually bring all the milk on top with them. This is probably caused by a fast and strong let-down that the baby is struggling to tolerate, and should also calm down as milk production regulates.

The following things may help: taking the baby off the breast during the initial let-down and allowing it to subside before continuing (babies swallow the most air during let-down when the flow is fast as they tend to gulp!), burping the baby frequently during a feed (bit of a bore but can really help) and always burping afterwards, and not offering the baby the other breast unless you are sure that she has finished the first. This should allow her to get more fatty milk from the breast. If the gas is really bad, you could try a product like Infacol which joins all the gas bubbles into one bigger bubble, making it easier to bring up.

Rest assured that everything you describe sounds perfectly normal and will pass in time. You are doing a good job - it's a rocky road and can be tough at times but it's worth it. :)

I second the previous poster!
Also there will be hurdles... like around 3 months they learn the "hey what is that" reflex
.. as in they may pop of to look at a noise or just to look then go right back. And around 6 months adding food changes thing a bit for some. Every growth spurt may pose a different obstical. Verrrry. Normal. Just hang through th and it gets much easier!

Haha we have literally just hit the 'HEY WHAT IS THAT' stage. Lol.

It's SO annoying!!!

Thank you for the replies, I've been trying to reply for ages to say thanks but there's always a little person wants/needs me!!

Great advice about winding through the feeding. I take her off the boob twice now for winding, once when I hear her gulping after initial let down (I do.produce alot of milk) then again if I hear her gulping/clicking/choking. She always burps! Great tip.

Well done on making it to three months meep! I managed two months last time. Keeping an open mind this time, taking each day as it comes.

Thanks. Honestly, I've nearly given up so many times. Nobody tells you how stressful it can be or what the hell to expect lol.

I struggled to BF my first DD and we stopped at 4 weeks.

I am 4 weeks in now with DD2 and it is going so much better although we seem to be struggling getting a good position and myself getting comfy. We will get there and I know it will get easier (well everyone tells me it will)

Some days (especially nights) I tell myself I cant do this anymore but I know its just easier and better this way for all of us. Just the thought of washing and sterilizing bottles fills me with dread, this is much much easier (and healthier of course)

It gets easier the longer you do it. And of course the perk of saving hours and hours of bottle washing sanitizing and filling!!! Each month will prolly have a new hurdle but each much you will have more wisdom and it'll be that much easier!

I'm soooo close to giving up today. It's so stressful doing it with a 2yo in tow. Baby now has cold and keeps puking, I also have a cold and cough that I can't shift and I'm so tired and run down. Can't help feeling if we were ff then hubby could do a night shift so I could get some sleep, I could take cold medicine and spend more time with DD1. I feel utterly miserable today.

Join the club - my daughter has totally failed to sleep well for the past few days and as a result is stressy, overtired and sensitive to everything. She is struggling to feed well because she's tired and annoyed, so I'm getting over-full, which means my STUPID RIGHT BOOB (which has always tended to produce too much) has an even more forceful let-down than usual, which chokes and upsets her, meaning she feeds less, meaning I get more full, meaning my milk gets more forceful ... and so on.

I've just had enough on days like this. You think things are improving and that it's easier now and then something else goes wrong. As she's now old enough to know what she does and doesn't like too, she is increasingly refusing the breast and being a struggle to easily nurse. And if she's not angry/upset, she's totally distracted. :brat:

Sorry to hear you have a cold. I was thinking today about how I probably wouldn't cope at all if I got ill. I can only imagine how hard it must be with another one running around too. I certainly have my good days when it feels like everything's working and I can confidently encourage others to carry on and reassure them that it gets easier, but today isn't one of them.

Sorry for the self-absorbed rant. I guess in some way I'm trying to say ... you're not alone? To be honest, I've basically hated breastfeeding from the beginning. :cry:

Check with your chemist/pharmacy as there are lots of things you can take whilst bf that you can't whilst pregnant to help with your cold. It's hard bf while u feel unwell but your milk is giving your baby antibodies to help fight their cold too. By sharing their germs you are helping them fight it off quicker. It does get easier although it's still hard sometimes.just keep taking it day by day. I.always thought I can't stop when I'm feeling unwell or really tired incase I regret it so I'll get over this hurdle and see how I feel then. Keep asking for advice though as knowing other mommies are experiencing similar things was always a comfort to me and I found great advice on here

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->