USA mommas.. tell me what i WILL NEED

brittany12

Mommy x’s 2
Reaction score
to pack in our hospital bag. Me and baby.

I'm a first timer so obviously not planning a C-section , but I don't know what I should bring other than our clothes, personal hygiene stuff, camera, phones, chargers. I mean will I need my breast pump for any reason? Or will they provide one if I needed it? Will I need diapers and wipes? Will I need the bobby pillow or breast feeding? Will I need pacifiers? burp cloths? bibs? baby lotions?

I'm not sure what they give you and what you need to bring.

Something i need to start thinking of too! Looks like you have the basics covered. I remember when I had my first daughter my MIL brought me jammies and the felt so cozy compared to the hospital gown I had on so i was so thankful.

You might contact your hospital as some are different, but mine provides for baby: diapers, wipes, baby shirts with mitts, swaddling blankets, pacifiers, formula if you need or breast pump for your stay(it's really best to avoid pumping at first though, unless necessary) for mom: huge pads, mesh panties, squeeze bottle to clean up after using the restroom, gown, robe, nipple cream, and those gel things if your nipples get sore(can't remember what they are called)
I'm still bringing most of these myself because I like to be over prepared. I would suggest a boppy if you don't want to use a pillow(I used a pillow with my first, but will take my boppy this time) I used one of the swaddling blankets as a bib/burp cloth with my first and will do the same this time.

Definitely check with your hospital! Mine provided:

Me:
-Hospital gowns (I bled everywhere for those first two days so I didn't even bother with my own clothes)
-Socks
-Pads and mesh underwear along with squeeze bottle
-3 meals a day for me and hubby

Baby:
-Swaddle shirt and hat
-Blankets
-Diapers (Pampers Swaddlers, my fav!)
-Wipes
-Formula (I'm assuming they had everything for breastfeeding since they had everything for formula)
-Pacifiers
-Nose cleaner thing

They sent us home with everything that was in her cart, along with extra diapers, wipes, formula, and any of the blankets/clothing we wanted to take with us. I so over-packed! The only things I ended up using was toiletries, going home clothes, and my phone charger.

Like pp have said, check with your hospital to see what they provide. Literally the only thing I needed for baby wasa burp cloth, a going home outfit, thick blanket (was cold here when we left hospital) and car seat. I brought so much more and it all stayed in the bag unused.

For you, bring toiletries, snacks for late night feedings when you're starving and cafeteria is closed, nursing bras (soft nighttime ones are best early on) or nursing tanks (my preference by far) and comfy pants, phones camera chargers etc. To go home in, I would bring an outfit that you were comfortable in at 5-6 months preggo.

Also, I would highly suggest lanolin for breastfeeding (use this everytine nursing from the get go )and cool gel pads (I would have a stash at home so you're not having to run out...I preferred the lansinosh to medela brands). I brought a boppy and used it half the time so maybe bring it as a just in case if you plan on nursing. I didn't use the pump at all and it sat in the car the whole stay.

The other thing I was going to suggest was a pair of thick socks with non slip grip or slippers if you plan on walking through labor. Everthing else I brought for labor went unused but those were a lifesaver.

I brought way way way more than what I listed but that was all I wound up needing/using. Next time I will pack everything into one bag and be done!

My hospital provided everything for baby, and a lot for me! All I brought was gowns to sleep in, pajama pants and nursing tanks. Shampoo and showering stuff of course, snacks, extra batteries, chargers, movies, camera. I bring my own pillow and blanket because the hospitals can suck. They provided a boppy, lanolin cream for nips, pads, mesh underwear, socks with grips at the bottom, diapers, wipes, paci, formula, bottles, blankets, gowns. For baby I brought my own blanket for them, an outfit for pictures, a goin home outfit, car seat.

Only things I needed

* Go home outfit for Baby & pacifiers
the hospital provided literally everything else. Diapers, wipes, clothes, baby toiletries,
* Go home outfit for me.
* Clothes for OH
* Snacks & vending machine money. unless you somehow give birth during cafeteria hours, there's not many options after fasting through labor.
*Carseat

I seriously over packed but a few things I brought that I was glad I had
*camera and phone chargers
*tablet
*Cuddly blanket for baby. The ones they provide are okay, but not the softest.
* stretchy pajamas for me.
* toiletries, but these are provided if forgotten
* flipflops

As others have said, when leaving I left with an almost full diaper pack, wipes, mesh panties and pads, and I jacked the little hat with the hospital logo for my baby book.

This was last week in Iowa, but seems to be similar through the US. Reading some of the UK ladies posts had me worried that I should have registered for a roll along suitcase set.

As far as breast pump goes, they'll want you to try to nurse whenever possible. If an reason for needing one arrises, the hospital has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->