using an old crib?

tina426

Reaction score
So my inlaws had saved my dhs crib...from 1987/88 (he's a Jan 88 baby so I'm guessing the crib is an 87).

They exhaustingly explained what a nice crib it was and that we must use it and take good care of it, and went on fairly condescending lecture about how they checked all the safety requirements and it's so much nicer than anything we could find today.

I will concede it is a beautiful crib and in perfect condition...but we got it here and set up....and it has drop rails on both sides.

Again, will concede it has all metal hardware that is in good condition, no signs of damage wear or corrosion and everything fit well. And now that it's together my 6'2" 200lb husband can put a hand on each rail and dip himself without any sign of movement/wobble/etc.

All that being said though, would you use it?

I'd probably be cautious as you are, but definitely give it a chance. It really is probably way better built than anything you could get today, and made with much better materials.

is there any way you can fix the rails to the sides so they no longer drop? Maybe screw in an extra screw into the sides just below the rails so it won't move anywhere.

Other than that, yes I'd use it! I was given a used crib back when I was pregnant with DD1, also in perfect condition, have used it for DS, and will soon use it for DD2 as well. Never had to worry about buying a crib :thumbup:

That sounds lovely :) we are using an old crib, it meets all safety requirements and we repainted it so it looks beautiful :)

Thanks ladies, the sliders are metal and pretty solid, literally about a quarter inch thick, so i don't think we'd be able to get any hardware in to permanently immobilize them....

But you made me feel better. I had thought about the rails and baking up the bed was my "task"for the weekend, and as i googled how to make the crib up safely all the evils of old cribs cane up and i started having a meltdown. Dh found a list off ask the defects/failures/causes that have been found to cause problems and he's very confident our crib doesn't feature any of them/would be physically impossible with ours.

Feeling less insane this morning

I'm pretty sure they make conversion kits for the old drop-rail cribs. Check ebay!

Like others have said older things are made way better than now a day things! I have my son in a twin bed that's over 100 years old (love antiques) and my brand new queen bed is broken on the side my husband sleeps on! So yes I would trust it!

I agree with winterbabies3. The only thing I would check is the spacing between the bars when baby becomes mobile.

Agreed! Also using an old crib, and I think you've done your research and all should be fine!

If the cot passes all your safety tests I would use it. I would definitely buy a new mattress though. Don't use an old mattress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->