Vacations with bf

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
DH and I are thinking about taking a vacation abroad.

But I'm so nervous bc of bf. sometimes baby feeds for hours and I don't know if I'll feel comfortable bf'ing outside of the hotel...and there wouldn't be a point in taking a vacation if I'll be spending all of it in a hotel.

Where I live malls have mothers' rooms so going out to the mall is very easy. I once bf on a park bench with a cover...but but it's not easy as I still use nipple shields and just can't see enough to latch with a cover. Just not comfortable bf without a cover in public. And baby hates the cover.

Wish I could express enough but it isn't easy at all. The last few times I tried didn't even produce anything. The only time I produced for a bottle was after expressing for most of the day over 2 days.

Any tips? Am I just making too big of a deal of things and in reality they are easier? Sometimes I tend to do that...

It depends where you are planning to go but im sure plenty of places accomodate in these ways. Definitely look into it. Breastfeeding really shouldnt stop you from doing anything.

I would keep breastfeeding regardless. Why stop or pump for this? makes things more difficult. If you dont like breastfeeding out you can get covers if you feel better. I am not confident feeding out as I am big and cant really cover myself. I dont think any woman should ever cover if they dont want too. But some do, me as I am fat with big boobs. But my baby first, needs feed and will be fed. Where are you going? could be a really pro breastfeeding place too.

It was always a question of should we even take a vacation or not rather than should I quit bf for a vacation. Just in case my original post isn't clear.

As much as id love to finally travel with my DH I am dreading the idea of it as I'm just too anxious. Maybe it would be better to postpone to the 2nd half of the year.

We were thinking of Asian destinations... Indonesia, Thailand or Malaysia. But due to my anxiety we will probably just not go anywhere.

I agree I don't think bf should prevent anyone from anything. But I'm too anxious although as I've said I've bf in a park etc but I dunno. Maybe because I can't imagine how it would be.

I've traveled while formula feeding AND breastfeeding and by far, BF was just so much easier. Bottle feeding is such a pain out & about. Have you thought of learning how to feed in a sling??? Babies who hate covers tend to not notice them when they are already in a sling. Travel with a younger baby is much easier than a toddler imo. I would go if you can.

Breastfeeding would certainly be easier for travelling, no lugging around bags and making up stuff. No dodgy water etc and no pumping. You dont have to worry about storing your milk.

A sling would be an amazing idea. How do I do that? What kind of sling would I use?

And I agree, bf would be much easier than anything else. But just so anxious.

You do build up confidence as you go along. I totally get the feeling. Even when certain friends come in my house I am self conscious when feeding.

I like BF in a wrap, but also a carrier with buckles or a mei tai are both good for it too :) The advantage of a wrap is that you can wrap them round you in layers (sort of!) so you can pull back a bit to have a look and then put it back, kind of like tucking LO in. Usually, you can only see in right at the top too, so you can have a great view but somebody else would have to get right in your face to see anything at all.

Honestly though, your LO is still quite little so if you're really worried I'd probably just wait a bit. Things change so quickly - in a few months, you might have an entirely different baby and/or your feelings about BF in public might be completely different. I don't believe BF should stop you doing anything you want to do, but I wouldn't stress myself out of it for the sake of a few months.

Bf is so much more the norm outside of north America. We travelled when lo was 3 months to mexico and I fed him everywhere and no one even batted an eye. It was honestly so easy to just pull out a boob anywhere we were :)

Thanks for your comments ladies. Our vacation has been postponed indefinitely (reasons nothing to do with bf) but I think I will look into bf in a sling just to make life easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->