VBAC - is my uterus too thin to attempt vbac?

roxane1986

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I need advice and opinions based on experiences!! I had a planned c-section for my ds cause of placenta previa 14 months ago.. I am due for my second ds in 4 weeks, so it's a little over 15 months in between. I've been wanting to give birth naturally all my life, it's something I really want. And also the idea of have a second c-section and having to take care of my 15 month old son pretty by myself cause dh works long hrs, it's not what I want to live!
But anyways, my doctor is supporting my decision but ofcourse she is recommending a c-section again cause it's soon between the 2 and now to top it up, I had an u/s about 2 weeks ago, around 34 weeks and my uterus (LUS) measured 1.5mm so now my doctor is concerned..
Please tell me good and bad stories about vbacs, I need to make up my decision.. Should I attempt vbac after these results?

thanks ladies xxxx

Don't know if you've seen this:

https://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?p=2420

It sounds like your doctor is concerned that you are at risk of another uterine rupture. I know very little about this or VBACs, but I think you need to ask your doctor more questions, most pressingly, how likely is another rupture if you don't have a scheduled section, and when would s/he expect this to happen?

Might there be mileage in coming to a compromise: that if you don't go into natural labor by a certain time you'll have a section? That way you reduce the odds of a rupture but also give yourself a chance to have a VBAC.

Ultimately I think though that you have to decide based on what is safest for the baby. Natural birth is great, but it's more important to have a healthy baby, despite the recovery period etc from a section.

oh just to specify.. I didnt have a previous rupture.. I had a planned c-section due to complete placenta previa for my son in March 2013..
This time I don't have placenta previa..

You are alot more risk of rupturing and you really don't want to put any stress on your baby so I'd go for the cection. I had a baby in feb this year by emergency cection and she sadly died at 9 days old and I fell pregnant again and I'm now 10 weeks and my consultant advised the cection due to higher risk of rupturing, stress on the baby and complications that could occur during child birth. Iv had 2 normal vaginal deliveries and believe you me I'd gladly have the cection again lol. Not just because of that but because I'm not prepared to put my baby in any risks or my self at all xx

Oh im so sorry for your loss Sammie!! Why did she pass away? Hugs xx

She had IUGR Hun. Very very sad :( We was told she wouldn't make it here at all so very blessed for our 9 days together. She was 430 grams. My little Miss Tiny xx

I'm so sorry for your loss!! This is horrible :(

But congrats on the new pregnancy and I wish you all the best! xxx

I can't really give you any advice but just wanted to say I'm in a similar situation, hoping for a Vbac after a ELCS for placenta previa too. My son is 18 months now and will be just over 2 when baby arrives and so far I've been supported in my vbac decision. Have you been given a consultant yet? My community midwife said it'll be something that gets discussed with a consultant provided I don't have another previa and that it varies from consultant to consultant.

pinkribbon, I'm sure if your baby is over 2 yrs old when you have a vbac that it's totally safe!! I actually have friends who had vbacs from 17 months to 22 months in between so less then you.. and it went great!
It's not an actual practice to measure the LUS but if you need reassurance, maybe you could ask to get it done!

pinkribbon, I'm sure if your baby is over 2 yrs old when you have a vbac that it's totally safe!! I actually have friends who had vbacs from 17 months to 22 months in between so less then you.. and it went great!
It's not an actual practice to measure the LUS but if you need reassurance, maybe you could ask to get it done!

Oh really! That's good. What's LUS? I have an appointment in a couple of weeks and I'll bring it up then?

Lus stands for lower uterus scar i think.. Anyways its an u/s to measure how thick ur uterus is where u were cut..

hey pinkribbon

Roxane is right, it's where your scar is.

LUS = Lower Uterine Segment

Most c-sections are cut in the lower part of the uterus.

Kim

You can ask your dr to measure your uterus where you were cut... or you can use that term but I'm sure if you tell him that, he will understand! My hospital will recommend a vbac only with 4mm measurments or greater! And mine is 1.5mm :S So they strongly suggest c-section.. I'm going for another u/s monday to have a second measurement cause I really want to try vbac! urghh!!

Thank you, I have an appointment with the consultant on 13th June so I'll raise it then. I don't really know all that much about vbac to be honest, just know I desperately want one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->