Vegetarian Collection

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
..including baby friendly ones?

I'm collecting some veggie recipes from magazines and online and thought I'd post them here for people wanting something new or if you have a vegetarian coming to dinner etc?

Will get to it when I get a spare hour or whatever but wondering if anyone else had any to contribute?

Ed Baines: Chestnut croquette with tomato.

Serves two

The tomato sauce ingredients

1 tin plum tomatoes
1 bunch basil, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbls olive oil

Tomato sauce method
1. Warm the olive oil in a pan and soften garlic add the tomato and slowly reduce by a third.
2. Finish sprinkling on the chopped basil.

Croquette ingredients

800g maris piper potatoes boiled, drained and placed in a pot on a low heat until
100 g pre-cooked chestnuts
1quartered 400g butternut squash roasted at 180oc /30 minutes scoop out the seeds and remove flesh from the skin and cut into 2cm cubes
2 carrots 2 cm cubes/1 onion chopped/1 ts cumin /1/2 ts dry thyme/1 cubed red pepper
2 tbls olive oil,2 cloves garlic
150g bread crumbs
100g plain flour
1 egg yolk

Croquette method

1. Pierce potatoes then bake at 190 C for about 60-90 minutes until tender
2. Soften the onion, carrot, red peppers and garlic in olive oil add cumin and thyme remove from heat
3. Strain the vegetables from the oil. Reserving the oil.
4. Cut potatoes in half, scoop out the flesh then mash the hot dry potatoes in a bowl and pour them out on to a floured work surface.
5. Gently mix in the egg, flour, cooked cubed Pumpkin, carrots, onion, peppers, garlic and chopped chestnuts.
6. Lightly knead together and roll in to 2ins by 8ins Sausage shape.
7. Place in fridge to firm then brush with reserved frying olive oil
8. Pour dried breadcrumbs on to a tray and roll into a croquette
9. Bake on a greased tray at 180oc for 30 mins AND SLICE.
10. Serve with the tomato sauce and all the veggie trimmings

Falafel (Slimming World styleee)

227g/8oz dried chick peas
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 level tsp ground cumin
1 level tsp ground coriander
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp chopped parsley
½ tsp baking powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fry Light, for spraying
method

1. Put the chick peas in a bowl, cover them with plenty of cold water and leave to soak for at least 48 hours. Drain the chick peas and then rinse well under cold running water in a colander.

2. Put the drained chick peas in a food processor with the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, chilli and herbs. Process to a thick, smooth puree. Add the baking powder and seasoning and stir well. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

3. Take small pieces of the pureed chick pea mixture and form into little balls between your hands, then flatten them out slightly. Arrange the falafel balls on a baking tray that has been sprayed with Fry Light.

4. Cook the falafel in a preheated hot oven at 220ºC/Gas Mark 7 for about 12-15 minutes, until crisp and golden. Serve immediately. A bowl of very low fat natural yogurt flavoured with fresh mint and chopped chilli makes a good dip for the falafel.

Yum, I will look out some favourites.

Some of my favourites:

Melanzane Parmigiana

Serves: 2
Ingredients

2 Aubergines (depending how hungry you are!)
1 tbsp olive oil
Frylight or 0.5 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cans chopped tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Lemon
Fresh basil
Cheddar Cheese (about 100g) - grated
Parmesan (about 20g) - grated
Pinch of sugar
Salt & Pepper
Method

Put the chopped tomatoes in a pan on medium heat and add 1tbsp oil, the juice of one lemon, the garlic cloves and some torn fresh basil with a pinch of sugar. Cover and simmer for 30mins.

Trim the aubergines and cut lengthways into thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30mins (so do it alongside the sauce for ease).

Preheat the oven to 200 deg celsius/400f/GM6

Then rinse the aubergine slices, drain, and pat dry on paper towels.

Brush the aubergines with oil or frylight on both sides and place on baking tray(s) and roast them in the oven for 10mins on each side. Whilst this is going on, take the lid off your sauce, season it, and allow it to simmer for 20mins (so again you can do this alongside the aubergines).

Then get two individual lasagne dishes and spoon some sauce into the dish. Place a piece of aubergine on top of this, then some grated cheese, then more sauce. Keep layering sauce/aubergine/cheese until you get to the last piece of aubergine which you then just top with some parmesan.

Place in the oven for 30mins or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.

Alternatively, you can use a medium lasagne dish and put both aubergines in it and layer them in whatever way works (e.g. 2 slices alongside each other) and then serve on plates. The thing I love about this dish is that it's easy to make more or less for the number of people and either do in individual dishes, or like a big bake that you can then split between people. You can also easily alter it to your preference. For example, Sam and I have it every Friday night and I do us 3 aubergines and 3 cans of tomatoes instead of 2, and we add more garlic and basil. You can just tweak it to your preference :)

Mushroom Rarebit on Brioche Toast

Serves: 6
Ingredients

6 large field mushrooms, peeled and trimmed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
100ml olive oil
6 slices brioche
salt and pepper

For the rarebit:
225g/8oz cheddar or gruyere cheese, grated
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 egg, beaten
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180/350/GM4. Put the mushrooms in a baking dish and season. Sprinkle with garlic and cover with the oil. Cook in the oven for 10-12mins until softened slightly.

2. Meanwhile, toast the brioche and make the rarebit by combining all the ingredients in a bowl. When the mushrooms come out of the oven spoon some of the rarebit mix onto each of them, pressing it well in. Then place under a hot grill until the cheese bubbles, melts and browns.

3. Serve one large mushroom on top of a piece of toasted brioche.

Again, this is one you can easily do for as many people as needed. I absoloutely love this and always have to have 2 'servings' as a snack.

Fried halloumi with lemon and capers

Serves: 2-4
Ingredients

25g/1oz plain flour
1tsp cayenne pepper
225g/8oz halloumi cheese cut into 8 slices
Vegetable oil for frying
Bag of watercress
Salt & Pepper

For the dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1tsp dijon mustard
3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp capers in vinegar
Freshly chopped parsley
Freshly chopped coriander leaves
Method

1) Combine the flour and cayenne pepper and season well. Dust each slice of cheese with the mixture.

2) Heat some oil in a pan until hot, then fry the halloumi for about 1minute on each side until golden.

3) To make the dressing, put the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and mustard into a bowl and whisk together. Keep whisking and slowly add the oil, a little at a time. Season to taste, then add the capers and herbs.

4) Sit two pieces of cheese on each plate on top of a bed of watercress and drizzle with the dressing.

This is in the book as a starter for 4 but Sam and I normally have half the halloumi &dressing each on a halved and toasted panini and a bag of watercress each as a main meal. (I also don't bother with the coriander and parsley nonsense!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->