Vegetarian, craving egg

skris4

Reaction score
I have never had eggs in my life but recently wanted to eat it after seeing my DH eat a hard boiled egg. Now I am obsessed with hard boiled egg whites (dont like the yolk part). Is it fine to have 3 a day? Does that sound excessive? Do egg whites cause constipation? THanks!

Eggs are very healthy!
Whites also are supposedly more healthy because they don't have the fats/cholesterol and calories that the yolks have.
It's an excellent source of protein.
You may be craving them because your body wants that protein.
If you'll eat eggs with your vegetarian diet, it might be good for you to eat them 3x a day. Especially since you're just consuming the whites.
How do you normally get your protein?
(Sorry, I've always been super curious about vegetarian diets)

Thanks Chiochick. Yeah I had 3 egg whites in one sitting today. So should I make it 1 egg white 3x a day? Maybe I am craving the protein .
My vegetarian diet is usually full of dairy and plant protein. I have one of 9 lentil varieties everyday along with nuts, seeds, grains and occasionally beans. That said, due to morning sickness I've been off cheese and lentils so my protein intake has been lousy :)

Eggs are great, have as many as you want! I get gestational diabetes at about 25 weeks and since I hate meat, eggs are my go to for protein. Even now, I'm eating 3-4 a day.

I'd also say you can safely eat as many egg whites as you want.
They're a great pregnancy super food.
I've considered doing a vegetarian diet as well just because I know its so much healthier for your body but I have no self control :/

Also, I generally eat 2-3 whole scrambled eggs at a time for breakfast.

My mom is an elderly lady who's also a vegetarian...no cheese either. Her muscles have atrophed so much she's extremely thin & frail. Her doctor advised her to strongly consider having Ensure supplement protein or plant-based protein shakes everyday. To get enough protein required for an average pregnant lady you'd need to eat at the very least a few cups of beans everyday. Babies need protein for normal bone, brain & muscle development. Glad you're following your body's cravings. Have you ever tried veggie protein shakes?

Thanks all:)
2have4kids - I wanted to understand whether to limit egg white consumption or whether it will cause digestive issues. I am new to eating eggs and a friend suggested that I was having too much for a beginner.

I am not concerned about protein intake since I hit 30% protein diet easily(20% now due to pregnancy) . That's too bad about your mom. Are the shakes helping her? As a lifelong vegetarian I know its hard to do it right. :)

Thanks all:)
2have4kids - I wanted to understand whether to limit egg white consumption or whether it will cause digestive issues. I am new to eating eggs and a friend suggested that I was having too much for a beginner.

I am not concerned about protein intake since I hit 30% protein diet easily(20% now due to pregnancy) . That's too bad about your mom. Are the shakes helping her? As a lifelong vegetarian I know its hard to do it right. :)

My mom feels strongly that there's enough protein in vegetables & beans to keep her healthy. Unfortunately, you literally need to eat plate fulls of beans to consume enough protein to repair and keep muscle tissue for a normal woman. And as we age we naturally lose muscle and get weaker anyway. She refuses to look up the protein content of her food for facts-sake on nutritiondata.com and refuses to listen to her doctor. We all own our health and in the end, we all have either good or bad outcomes based on how we meet our needs. I agree we don't need meat however it's really difficult to get 71g of protein when 1/2 cup of lentils is only 9g.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...n-depth/pregnancy-nutrition/art-20045082?pg=2
That's 3-4 cups of lentils/day, I don't know any vegetarian that eats that much and while lentils & beans are some of the highest veg source of protein, she feels strongly that she's getting enough protein from her other veggies...that contain just trace amounts. I'd hate to guess how much pepper, lettuce, onion etc a person would need to eat to get enough protein from a low-grade source. She's allergic to wheat and dairy so won't eat those and doesn't eat soy as it's really bad for mimicking estrogen (which is really bad for fertility in women and really bad for menopausal women-cancer, sleep loss, weight gain etc). She's happy that she's now lost her weight from in her 40's & 50's but I wish she'd listen to the doctor or do a little more research about exactly how much protein is in the food she eats and how much an average woman needs to avoid serious muscle atrophe & other health issues. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...eef-it-up-to-prevent-muscle-loss/bgp-20136508
As long as your 20% protein diet isn't based on a 1% capsicum pepper content, you know you're responsible for your baby's growth and I'm sure you know how much most vegetables actually contain for protein content. Most vegetarians my age take protein supplements as they maintain active lifestyles. I wish you a healthy pregnancy & baby!

With eggs, unless they're bothering you what evidence does your friend have that 3 is too much? Protein is protein no matter how you chalk it up. Most people who have either sensitivities to eggs (myself) or allergies (my mom) react to the egg yolk anyway. You'd know it's too much as you'd either have gas from indigestion or it'd feel like a rock in your belly. If you don't feel bad, do enjoy your eggs!

I believe you can eat as many eggs as you want now, once upon a time they said to limit egg consumption but turns out it was twaddle, eat away and enjoy x Don't just limit yourself to chicken eggs either, a nice duck egg on toast is the best xxxx

We have ducks and chickens so eggs are a staple in our family diet. I think eggs are great, its a good pick-me-up snack anytime you are hungry. Try an egg scramble with lots of veggies, yum!

I would say that it's definitely likely that your body is craving protein as you might not be getting enough. I was vegetarian when I was pregnant and I definitely had weird cravings for shellfish, especially crabs! I think if you are happy to eat it, go with it, as you're body probably knows what it needs. Yes, totally fine to eat that many eggs and also just to eat the whites. The whites are mostly all protein. The yolks are more nutrient dense and have more vitamins in them (there's not much really in the whites other than protein), but eat what you want. Eggs are generally considered a really healthy food and all that stuff about eggs raising cholesterol is really outdated now. They're actually a really healthy source of dietary cholesterol and fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->