very sick mama. icu hospital for over a week

Bella12

Reaction score
Not feeling well enough to ebalorate but my problem:
b re astfeed/pumped first 3 weeks. Produced Decent amount of milk.
Became extremy ill week 4.
Hospitalized. Moved to icu etc.
I've been pumping everyday as much as I can which was about 1-3 times a day. I'm drying up:-( any ideas. I'm can't even see my baby. I would like to care for him?
I'm gOing to be heer at least another week.

Oh darling, I'm so sorry you're so unwell. You will care for your baby even if you cant bf when you leave, you're his mama.
I have no tips on keeping your supply up. Pump when you can I guess but concentrate on getting well xx

:hugs: how awful, sounds like you're having a really rough time.

Do they have a lactation consultant at the hospital who could help you? They might be able to help and give you personal advice.

the best thing for supply is to pump often (every 2 - 3 hours, the hospital might have a hospital-grade pump you can use) but depending on your situation that might not be possible. But I agree with PP, focus on getting well and I hope everything works out and you're better soon! xx

I'm sorry you're so poorly. I agree with pp about asking if you can see a lactation consultant and have a hospital grade pump if you haven't already. Is there no way baby can be brought to you for even one direct feed a day or just skin to skin? I was in icu for several days after my daughter was born but she stayed with me. If that's not possible have a photo of baby to hand when pumping and something he's worn (so it smells of him) as triggering these senses can stimulate the milk flow.

There are ways of getting supply back up as well that you try when you get home, some people are able to relactacte after drying up. No guarantees but it's something you could look into.

And if all else fails remember formula is nutrious and safe, yes bf is great but having mummy home and healthy will be of even greater benefit so if it's becoming detrimental to your health don't push yourself.

I hope you are on the mend very soon.

I tried using the hospitast lactation consultants but they said I was doing everything right and keep it up. Fingers crossed. I was told by my doctor that the c diff bacteria in my body was probably caught during my c section.

I can't see or hold my baby as he would have a high likelihood of death .

Plus my meds are really strong and would harm baby.

So many things went wrong in past month i just want to be able to do one thing right. Give my baby good nutrition. I know it sounds silly but it is the one thing I was trying to control. I look forward to returning to that bonding time when the dust settles.
It gives me hope for future and makes me still feel like a mom while I can't hold him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->