very slow weight gain -what can I do?

doddy0402

Mummy to 3!
Reaction score
My other 2 children were relatively slow gainers but have been very healthy and happy so I think that I just make smaller than average kids. They did however always hover between their percentile lines (9th and 25th with ds and 25th and 50th with dd)
Baby number 3 was born larger than the others @ 8lb 2oz which put him on the 75th line for both height and weight and again he has been a slow gainer, but he's ALOT slower - at 4 weeks and 2 days he is 8lb 4oz (2oz above birth weight and 5oz above his lowest weight at 5 days old)
He has frequent wet nappies, poos after every feed, feeds on demand (at least every 3 hours if not more) is very alert etc so all this I am happy with, but he is starting to look really skinny!
When do I start to worry about this? And what else can I do about it? I really can't feed him anymore than I am!

Sounds a lot like my eldest, took a while to gain back his birthweight (between 3 and 4 weeks) and then most of the time gained only 4-5oz a week and after 4 months 2oz a week, he started off on the 50th centile then dropped to between the 2nd and 9th centile (occasionally jumping up to between 9th and 25th) and he did look really really skinny but started to fill out and was really chubby after a few months even though he remained on the lower centiles. We did later find out he had a severe tongue tie and lip tie which wasn't properly diagnosed until he was 6 :( but I don't think that was the entire cause of his slow but steady weight gain I think it was just 'him' xx

This was my second boy. I was really worried, although no one else was. I just persevered. He is 6 months old now and looking quite chubby. I attribute that to the solids he is currently wolfing down! Everything sounds perfectly fine with your baby in terms of his nappy output. If you are genuinely concerned ask your gp or hv as they should be able to reassure you xx

My eldest daughter gained slowly and took 3 weeks to regain her birthweight and only gained at most 4oz a week.

My younger daughter was born 1lb heavier but also took over 3 weeks to regain birthweight. Once she was 6 weeks or so though she seemed to start gaining well - 8oz a week or so and following between the 25th and 50th. Nothing changed in that time in how I was feeding her, it was just her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->