Very small premmies

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondered if anyone else has or has had a premmie that wasn't a great feeder and struggled to put on weight. My LO is 26 weeks now and only weighs 9lb 10oz. She has been on various reflux meds and tried different milks for a milk intolerace but nothing really helps. She doesn't loose weight but only puts on about 2 or 3 oz a week. Its starting to get me down.

Don't really know what to say but didn't want to read and run (its not nice when people do that!)

Have you spoken to your GP about your concerns?

My LO wasn't putting on weight at a good enough increase and was put onto half formula 'pre-aptimil' and it has helped.

((hugs))

Hi my lo was weighed a fortnight ago when she was 21 weeks (6 corrected) and she weighed 7lb 1oz. She only puts on 3-4oz a week but the hv are happy with the weight she is putting on as prem babies don't put on weight at the same pace as a fullterm baby. I was initially stressed about it as I am breastfeeding but she is content with plenty of wet and dirty nappies so I just have to accept she will tiny for quite a while!

My baby was 9lb 15oz at 26 weeks (actual), nobody is concerned about his weight although I wish he would catch up, but he is following his own curve and they are happy with that. He is 10 months of age now and just over 13lb.

My Paed consultant nags me every month about Andrew not putting on sufficient weight, as he doesn't feed greatly - he takes even less milk now that he's weaning. She'd like to see him climb up the graph curves on the weight chart, whereas I'm happy that he's maintaining his own curve (between the -3 & -4 SD curves).

My daughter was 2lb 8oz and 12 weeks early. She's now nearly 33 weeks (uncorrected) and weighs about 14lb 6 oz. She's still in hosp and has been on TPN / Lipid (only at night now though) since she was born pretty much. I've always thought this was quite an unnaturally fast weight gain as you know it's not happening through feeds (she's still not on full feeds but has had other complications hence the hosp stay) What you're explaining sounds okay, so long as your doc, health visitor etc is happy.

Little babies seem to take longer to do everything. I know that the wait can be so annoying, but so long as they're happy and healthy, that's the main thing. Enjoy every day as the time has gone so quickly in some ways that I sometimes feel I've missed out.

Good Luck with everything x

sorry meant to add that she's on continuous feeds through an NG tube and has special formula that's dairy, gluten etc free for her gut problems. She WON'T drink this stuff out a bottle though - thinking she must think it's pretty nasty!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->